UI & Gameplay exp while playing Egassem

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
kinngrimm
Space Krill

UI & Gameplay exp while playing Egassem

#1 Post by kinngrimm »

Hi guys, i am glad the game is advancing, i regularly check for years for the progress now :)

----------------------------------------
played species Egassem
Problem: when i want to select multiple ships i have to use ctrl and left click on any last one of them while scrolling down in the window i placed on the lower left side.

Suggestion:
double click => select all of one type within one system
shift + 2clicks => select every including those ships you clicked
ctrl+a => select all ships within system

That then would perhaps also need a key bindings tab within the options menu
Problem: After colonization, within 1 further turn colonies die/"... is destroyed"

That is the case for colonies who are not exactly the same as my starting colony. Even those who are but according to the planet wheel are directly next to them.

That even then when they are directly in my supporting range and sorrounded by already colonized planets.

system with colonized Inferno
|
system to be colonized with toxi|radiated
|
system with colonized Inferno

I checked the the quickguid, nothing there.
My best guess the Lithovore ability of Egassem is not yet working

or i may not get what a support line ist, then i would like a clarification. From what i saw so far

Starlane: grey by default
becomes over time the color i choose for my empire
that i interpret as supply line

sometime later the lane becomes more thick/width, that i interpret as the supply line
that i interpret as either a influence or constuction line as described (btw. this got an ugly color , when you give me to choose teh star lane colors then this one please too :oops: )

Solution: fix Lithovore or Supplylines
Problem: Positions & size of windows reverted

When i positioned a window and gave it a size(hight/width); it is rather anyoing to do that all the time again, in some cases we do have to do it only for one session which is ok, then there are otehr windows where depending how you interact with the other viewscreens get mixed up.

Suggestion: Something i liked very much a few years ago when i palyed guildwars, was the way how you could mange the gui there. You went into the edit mode; there you were able to drag and squeeze and reposition; then you left the edit mode and you couldnt do that anymore and you couldnt mess up your settings.

all in all but you have done awesome things and i enyjoyed it.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: UI & Gameplay exp while playing Egassem

#2 Post by MatGB »

I actually really like Egassim, but they are harder to play.

With colonisation, they have a narrow planet tolerance, meaning they don't have any Adequate worlds merely Good and Poor or below. That means you need a lot more in Growth technologies before they can start colonising non-Inferno worlds, when you place the colony always look at the numbers on the planet before you hit colonise, if it's red then you'll lose population.

Narrow starlanes in your empire colour are the extent of your network, ie where ships can get fuel from. The wider lines are where resoruces are being shared between planets, it shows "core" lanes that you don't want to get broken by attacking fleets without issues.

If you'd rather just play to get the hang of the new techs and similar, Gysache are a nice all round easy-to-use species, I use them whenever I want an easy test/win scenario, Egassem are something I go for when I want to do somethign different-and they really benefit from having a higher Native levels than other critter types due to their own colonising restrictions.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

kinngrimm
Space Krill

Re: UI & Gameplay exp while playing Egassem

#3 Post by kinngrimm »

thanks mat for advice.

I always liked the Silicoids(LithTol) for their simplicity, not as hardcore as UniTol still good enough. I kind of hoped fora similar thing here for the Ergassem.