Volume of sitrep messages (6513)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
OllyG
Space Kraken

Volume of sitrep messages (6513)

#1 Post by OllyG »

There are quite of lot of duplicate messages on my sitrep. (FreeOrion-6513-Test-Win32-Setup)

For example, when my planets are bombed by death spores or bio terminators (from space monsters), I get a sitrep message for each weapon on each space monster, so I'm told multiple times that the same planet has lost population. It would be better if there was only one message per planet (and also it would be better if the amount of population loss was mentioned).

Also when fleets arrive in a system, I think it would be better if I was told how many ships arrived in each system, rather than being told about each individual fleet on a separate line. This could be extended to other messages, all the planets colonised could come on one line.

Finally, I am told that a planet was bombed at the top of the list and about the battle causing the bombing at the bottom. I expect it is because it was decided that bombing was more important than battles. But I like cause to come before effect - I don't like time travel!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Volume of sitrep messages (6513)

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Making various groups of sitreps expandable/collapsible is one of the things on the long term to-do list, I believe, and would/will help a lot with managing sitrep volume.

As far as the order of sitreps goes, this is part of the user-modifiable content (albiet with some slight nuisance on Windows). To change the order of sitrep presentation, you need to edit the "SITREP_PRIORITY_ORDER" entry in your stringtable (the english stringtable is the default/stringtables/en.txt file in your FO installation directory). On Windows this file is in the normally read-only Program Files or "Program Files (x86)" folder, and you may need to first go to the Folder Options Control Panel and change it to 'show hidden system files', but assuming you have administrator privileges on your computer you can then use Windows Explorer to navigate to the file, open up the file properties via right-click, go to the Permissions tab and give yourself full write privileges to it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Volume of sitrep messages (6513)

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It's often more reliable to copy a file from Program Files elsewhere, such as the desktop, edit it there, and then copy it over. Editing in place sometimes appears to alter the file, but actually save a copy in an alternate location that the program attempting to access the file won't see.