Advanced Engineering Bay

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
OllyG
Space Kraken

Advanced Engineering Bay

#1 Post by OllyG »

I am playing a game using 'FreeOrion-6557-Test-Win32-Setup'

Researching Spatial Flux Drive does not unlock the Advanced Engineering Bay upgrade to ship yards.

This is a problem because an Advanced Engineering Bay is needed to construct Spatial Flux hulls.
Spatial Flux Drive.png
Spatial Flux Drive.png (109.19 KiB) Viewed 913 times

Hihoo
Space Kraken

Re: Advanced Engineering Bay

#2 Post by Hihoo »

look up advanced engineering bay to see its 2 prerequisites

OllyG
Space Kraken

#3 Post by OllyG »

To Build a hull I have unlocked I need to research an additional five! technologies.
Spatial Flux Drive.png
Spatial Flux Drive.png (16.95 KiB) Viewed 904 times
to Mid Combat Logistics.png
to Mid Combat Logistics.png (12.41 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Advanced Engineering Bay.png
Advanced Engineering Bay.png (23.25 KiB) Viewed 904 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

I'm with Olly on this, buildings should unlock before or at the same time as hulls, not a long way further down the tech tree. I suspect it's an oversight that needs fixing, very easy to patch.

Olly, do you know how to hack the files in the default folder to make the building usable now? If not can walk you through it fairly easily.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Hihoo
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Hihoo »

I concur it would be convenient to be able to use a researched item immediately.

Thinking twice, wouldn't it be the building then you couldn't use immediately?

Mind by hacking research prereqs you could break part of the AI's reasoning

Take care

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

IIRC the techs unlocking a certain hull have always also unlocked the shipyard extension buildings required to build them. If that's not the case with the Spatial Flux Drive, then I'd consider that broken.

AFAIK the AI doesn't make use of this hull line, so fixing that won't affect the AI.

Hihoo
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Hihoo »

How to construct Spatial Flux Drives is a purely academic topic IMHO.
Your Advanced eng. bay will cost you 2000 PP
(because it enables the late-game logistics-facilitator also - which indeed isn't but SHOULD very much be used by AIs)

All of these PP for constructing a small ship with no practical use I can think of?
Do it and you'll lose.
Months ago I asked here about the use of camouflaged asteroid hulls - obviously no one had any idea. I would second deleting these two hulls from the game to curb further beginner-confusions.

shawndream
Space Kraken

#8 Post by shawndream »

Removing hulls and replacing them with internal ship components or flat bonuses will always get my vote.

I could live happily if the game featured only small, medium, and large hulls, and everything else was components.

(Although the concept of flavored hulls like bio, energy, asteroid and robotics currently in FO is a great feature we should never toss out, and I would vote for the addition of tiny, swarm, and huge hulls).
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!