b6637 w/ Jan 19th content

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
yandonman
Creative Contributor

b6637 w/ Jan 19th content

#1 Post by yandonman »

UI is kind of jerky in responsiveness after turn 150-ish
* Dragging the map
* Drawing of turn makes screen flash blank
* Selecting a system

Total turn processing speed is quite good (less than 5 sec), even above turn 300 with 150 systems/6 AIs.

Saw a gas giant sized desert planet.
HugeHugePlanet.jpg
HugeHugePlanet.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: b6637 w/ Jan 19th content

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yandonman wrote:Saw a gas giant sized desert planet.
Presumably a homeworld which was originally a gas giant, and which was set to be its species preferred type, but not adjusted in size.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by yandonman »

I'm also noticing more crashes on dragging ships into fleets than in the past. Once I got a Data Execution Prevention message. Other times FreeOrion.exe just crashed. Larger numbers of ships and larger numbers of fleets being selected to drag seem to increase the chance of crash. Unfortunately, not able to give more info on repro steps at this time.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
yandonman wrote:Saw a gas giant sized desert planet.
Presumably a homeworld which was originally a gas giant, and which was set to be its species preferred type, but not adjusted in size.
I've seen it a few times and not checked, it's always for Etty, which are, IIRC, the only playable species that doesn't get a defined large planet homeworld. It's also new, keep meaning to report it but get distracted.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:I've seen it a few times and not checked, it's always for Etty, which are, IIRC, the only playable species that doesn't get a defined large planet homeworld. It's also new, keep meaning to report it but get distracted.
Ok, that's important to know... although I still don't understand what's going on here. If they don't get a defined large planet homeworld, the standard setting (medium) should be applied... I've to look into this.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:If they don't get a defined large planet homeworld, the standard setting (medium) should be applied... I've to look into this.
What happens presumably depends on whether it's creating a new planet for them, or assigning them to and modifying the information of an existing planet.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:What happens presumably depends on whether it's creating a new planet for them, or assigning them to and modifying the information of an existing planet.
Yeah, I know. That part has already been moved to Python, meaning I've written the code in question. And I know that the code specifically takes care to set planet type and size correctly - unless I've messed up something, which I probably have, otherwise we wouldn't have this bug. As I said, I've to look into that....

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:I've seen it a few times and not checked, it's always for Etty, which are, IIRC, the only playable species that doesn't get a defined large planet homeworld. It's also new, keep meaning to report it but get distracted.
I cannot reproduce that. I just modified the universe generator script to set all empire starting species to Etty, started a game with 20 AIs - all of them got medium desert homeworld (as it should be). Then I modified the script further to make every planet a gas giant, still the same (correct) result. Looking at the code sections in question, I also can't find anything that looks wrong. Apparently everything is as it should be.

If you have any idea how to reproduce the issue, please report back.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

I haven't seen it in games from the most recent install, I'll go through savegames at some point over the weekend and try to find some that it did happen and use the same start conditions to see if it's still happening.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

Current game, #6654 unamended.

As per Dilvish's suggestion, 9 AIs + me on a 500 system low planet setup, just noticed I was approaching a head-on-a-pike world and realised it was one we were looking for. It was an asteroid belt before being repurposed it appears, which is even weirder as asteroids aren't huge, no idea what's going on.

One quick solution of course is to simply give Etty a defined homeworld size, but that doesn't actually find and fix the actual bug (although I do wonder why they're the only ones without a large world? never felt the need to trawl through archives to see if there's a reason).
Mat Bowles

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#11 Post by Dilvish »

a savegame, while verifying the problem, is not so helpful for solving this problem I think -- it's the server log, which might have some informative logging about the homeworld creation process, that has a chance to help here.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:a savegame, while verifying the problem, is not so helpful for solving this problem I think -- it's the server log, which might have some informative logging about the homeworld creation process, that has a chance to help here.
Well, he gave us the game setup settings, so I should be able to reproduce this game.

Looks like I'm going to have a very busy day today...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, can't give game creation server log anyway, I'd had to reload the game a few times already, but with the setup settings that's the best I can do. FWIW, there's another Etty homeworld that's normal medium size also just conquered in the other spiral arm. G'luck, if you need anything tested LMK.
Mat Bowles

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:G'luck, if you need anything tested LMK.
Ok, the issue should be fixed by rev 6735. Apparently I got a bit confused about what had already been committed and what fixes had only gone into my local working copy. As it turned out, the fallback to medium size for planets selected as homeworlds was one of the fixes that hadn't gone in before. So if an asteroid belt had been changed into a "real" planet because it had been chosen as hoomeworld, its size didn't get adjusted properly. Exactly how that translated into gas giant sized homeworlds for Etty I don't know, but reproducing your universe with your setup settings now gives me a correctly medium sized desert planet for that homeworld.

However, just to make sure, you could reproduce that universe too with the upcoming test builds and check if all Etty homeworlds have the correct size, and maybe keep looking for oversized homeworlds at least for a while :)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#15 Post by MatGB »

Vezzra wrote: Apparently I got a bit confused about what had already been committed and what fixes had only gone into my local working copy.
I do that, and I can't even commit stuff, I update from SVN, drag the files to the game folder, and wonder why I've got gas giants marked as inhabited, go comment the damn stupid critters out then realise something else I've still got live.
However, just to make sure, you could reproduce that universe too with the upcoming test builds and check if all Etty homeworlds have the correct size, and maybe keep looking for oversized homeworlds at least for a while :)
No worries, I'm playing 3-4 games a week at the moment, if I ever get another job that'll change, natch, but in the meantime...
Mat Bowles