a galaxy setting to try

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

a galaxy setting to try

#1 Post by Dilvish »

In testing out changes to the AI lately, I've tried a couple games with low planets, low monsters and medium everything else, and a stars:empires ratio of about 50:1 (I've been doing 500 stars and 10 AIs). The top AI has been keeping up with me for longer than usual it seems. I don't know how much that might be improvements to the AI, versus interesting settings, but just thought I'd mention it here for you guys to try out.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: a galaxy setting to try

#2 Post by MatGB »

50:1 is a lot higher than I normally risk—I've been trying low starlanes medium planets for a bit (partially because low planets means few natives to test recent changes with), I shall give that a go, might be playable without lag as well. I have noticed on low starlanes low planets that some AIs get very stuck and just stop expanding when they run out of places they've seen,maybe medium starlanes reduces that effect a bit.

Curious, what's your preferred galaxy layout? I find elliptical incredibly dull every time I play, ideally clusters and irregular are most interesting, but again AIs can just freeze up in them too often.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: a galaxy setting to try

#3 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:50:1 is a lot higher than I normally risk—...,maybe medium starlanes reduces that effect a bit.
Yeah, it's the low planets that I figure makes it ok to go up to 50:1 on systems (I think the total number of planets is still less than 25:1 on systems with medium planets), and I do think the medium starlanes is better than low/low. With low/low it's just too much emphasis on supply and outposts; the AI has some ability to deal with that but low/low is pretty tough for it.
Curious, what's your preferred galaxy layout? I find elliptical incredibly dull every time I play, ideally clusters and irregular are most interesting, but again AIs can just freeze up in them too often.
I agree, and often wind up playing Ring or Irregular. The AI has a bit more supply oriented research code than it did a couple months ago & should be able to handle cluster & irregular better than it did before (though maybe not up to low/low for them).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0