6654 w/ Jan 26th content

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Sloth
Content Scripter

Re: 6654 w/ Jan 26th content

#31 Post by Sloth »

My thoughts on r6923:

1. Supply meters growing by +1/turn is much better than instand growth to max.

2. The supply macros for species are much too complicated at the moment. Bad supply only influences medium planets, great supply only influences tiny and large planets. That's not KISS.

I propose simple macros:
Bad Supply +0.5
Average Supply +1
Great Supply +1.5
Ultimate Supply +2

To give tiny and small planets an advantage i would change the first supply boosting tech (currently Orbital Construction, but that could change too) to:
Tiny +2
Small +1.5
Medium +1
Large +0.5

Differentiations like this can be much clearer to the user when they don't happen from the start, but come disguised as a bonus later in the game.

3. Space Elevator should not double supply. Doubling something gets out of hand quickly.

PS: This discussion should be moved to a new thread in scripting and balancing.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#32 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Sloth wrote:...Supply meters...
Feel free to make and post a patch...

Geoff the Medio

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Sloth wrote:3. Space Elevator should not double supply. Doubling something gets out of hand quickly.
Consider that without doubling effects being available, giving +0.5 supply range bonuses doesn't do anything useful.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#34 Post by Krikkitone »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Sloth wrote:3. Space Elevator should not double supply. Doubling something gets out of hand quickly.
Consider that without doubling effects being available, giving +0.5 supply range bonuses doesn't do anything useful.
Giving +0.5 does have an effect If it is applied broadly to multiple targets... some of which might be 0.5 or 1.5 and some of which might be 1 or 2.

(ie Large world+0.5 Average supply Species+1)

Moves from effectively 1 to 2 supply if you add another +0.5

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#35 Post by Dilvish »

Krikkitone wrote:Giving +0.5 does have an effect If it is applied broadly to multiple targets... some of which might be 0.5 or 1.5 and some of which might be 1 or 2. (ie Large world+0.5 Average supply Species+1) Moves from effectively 1 to 2 supply if you add another +0.5
Although that seems to negate Sloth's reason to propose new numbers to begin with:
Sloth wrote:The supply macros for species are much too complicated at the moment. Bad supply only influences medium planets, great supply only influences tiny and large planets. That's not KISS.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#36 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Krikkitone wrote:Giving +0.5 does have an effect If it is applied broadly to multiple targets... some of which might be 0.5 or 1.5 and some of which might be 1 or 2.
I don't think there are many / any other instances of giving +0.5 supply range bonuses...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#37 Post by MatGB »

I'm agreeing that this'll need some work to make good (and it is nicer to play with once you're used to it, completely threw me the first time I colonised out of supply range but...), but I'm not sold on Sloth's suggested numbers, however...
I propose simple macros:
Bad Supply +0.5
Average Supply +1
Great Supply +1.5
Ultimate Supply +2

To give tiny and small planets an advantage i would change the first supply boosting tech (currently Orbital Construction, but that could change too) to:
Tiny +2
Small +1.5
Medium +1
Large +0.5
Bad Supply plus Small = 2, Great Supply + Small = 3, so even in the very limited confines of creature + planet size giving different bonuses you would get it working through. It's not necessarily a bad idea, but I'm not sold on it yet and we'd need to work through different iterations I think.

Similarly I'm not sold on Space Elevator losing it's doubling bonus in favour of a static numerical boost as I'm not of the opinion, currently, that it's overpowered, it certainly isn't within the current game setup and numbers, especially with the 1 per turn growth that we've now implemented. However, once we've gone through possible choices for good/bad supply and planet size advantages it may be the case that it has the potential to be overpowering and may need reassessing.

I love that we've implemented this, thanks Geoff, it's actually slowing me down and making me think more, I still can't get into the habit of filling internal slots with fuel by default, but I think I may have to.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#38 Post by MatGB »

Observations:

1) Outposts now have 'average colony supply' +1 without any techs, which isn't ideal to my mind

2) Captured planets don't lose supply, is it possible to have a newly captured enemy or independent planet start at 1 and build up?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio

#39 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:...is it possible to have a newly captured enemy or independent planet start at 1 and build up?
Yes, though I started them at 0.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#40 Post by MatGB »

Works for me, cool.
Mat Bowles

Geoff the Medio

#41 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:1) Outposts now have 'average colony supply' +1 without any techs, which isn't ideal to my mind
Can you suggest a better tech in which to put the first increase to outpost supply range in then? Currently it comes with Environmental Encapsulation, which also unlocks the outpost module...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#42 Post by MatGB »

Before this change, they started on supply 0, you had to get Orbital Construction to give them supply 1 then they gained from there but would always be less than genuine colonies. I'd be happy with that, you take OrbCon early enough it makes them effective bridges, as is they can let you extend range between colonies very easily.

I don't actually mind one way or the other, I mentioned it because despite reduces supply in general you've increased it for outposts and I wasn't sure it was intended.
Mat Bowles