Psychogenic Domination in #6824

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Psychogenic Domination in #6824

#1 Post by MatGB »

psycho-dom.png
Um, I think something broke badly. I just got around to researching it. As mentioned in a previous thread, the one remaining AI is stuck beyond the experimentors. I have one system on the border of the galaxy facing towards their self contained cluster. I am not linked in any way.

I just took control of a large chunk of their fleet, more than half of the ships in orbit around one system and all the troop ships in orbit around the other.

Nothing in the logs to indicate anything weird. Same game as the monster movement problem.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Psychogenic Domination in #6824

#2 Post by Dilvish »

you should probably make a note of the galaxy seed, just in case it put the random generator into a weird state. But rev 6824 had a serious problem with containers (like systems & fleets) that could really mess with your client ( it was fixed in r6830). I wouldn't be surprised if upon the following turn you did not actually own all those apparently captured ships. It's not like we should just ignore this, if these problems are still present in the next build then this report will help us home in on where the problems are caused. But in the meantime I personally am not going to put much time into trying to figure out any more bugs with r6824.

Vezzra is going to try to come up with time to put out another build soon.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a container problem, on a slightly later turn a scout I 'captured' was repaired by a drydock. In a system the other side of the galaxy. No combats have taken place, I'm half tempted to reload to see if the ships end up in a completely different location.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

OK, there's somethign weird going on with both where the ships think they are and which planets are adjacent to which. I just had reason to click on a system of mine, long controlled, the entire other side of the galaxy from the Eaxaw AI that I'm somehow dominating.

It's subject to xenophobic harassment, the only possible source of which is the Eaxaw world I've conquered within the cluster using dominated ships. Recording the notes for troubleshooting for future bughunting if it's not the already fixed containerisation process.
Mat Bowles

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Whatever these issues (this or monster movement) are, they don't have anything to do with client-side problems. This stuff all happens on the server.

My guess is that the starlane jump distance calculation changes recently added by cami are not working correctly. It would explain both psychic control and monster movement not working correctly, as I think these both use a WithinStarlaneJumps condition.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Follow up, there's still weirdness going on in #6870, I think it might be related but I'm completely unsure. Screenshot should make it obvious:
psych-dom-location-bug.png
Because Psych Dom is such an end game tech it hasn't come up since I last reported it, but that captured colony ship shouldn't be able to colonise that system from the neighbouring location, although it is where I'm likely moving it to.

ETA: decided to try the colonise button, and it worked as long as I didn't try to move the ship to the system.
Mat Bowles

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:Follow up, there's still weirdness going on in #6870,
Yes, I just confirmed earlier today that there is a problem with the starlane jumps code; it appears the jump count algorithm gets a bit messed up when the Experimentor system gets detached from the rest of the system network. Cami is working on a fix.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

Think there's more to it than that, haven't finished exploring this map but no sign of experimentors or their pets yet and it's turn 232, have just watched an exobot colony ship disappear, going through sitreps the ship I dominated last turn in a neighbouring system killed it, but wasn't engaging with the ships and asteroids I'd told it to, it looks like dominated ships in general aren't having their location updated properly when they're dominated.

They used, IIRC, to appear in a neighbouring system, but they now currently appear to stay where they are in client, and in some cases get pinned down by blockading, but don't fight as if there.
Mat Bowles