More [SVN 6836] feedback

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

More [SVN 6836] feedback

#1 Post by Dilvish »

another significant problem encountered in [6836] -- ship structures are starting at zero and staying there unless increased by some effect (i.e. organic hull repair, or drydock repair). Here is a representative screenshot:
ship_structure_problem.png
ship_structure_problem.png (105.33 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
This stayed at zero for multiple turns, and does not appear to be merely a display bug or other client-side bug -- a few turns later it was destroyed in combat with a single hit of 6 points (and indeed stayed dead on subsequent turns). I also observed AI ships suffering the same issue. I tested this in a fully clean build. Drydock repair seemed to sometimes repair by substantially more than the 10 point cap.

On the more minor side, there is a scroll problem which might have been there all along but seems more likely to come up with the larger scroll step -- I just noticed this in the sidepanel & it may be specific to that -- if a scrollbar is needed, and a single scroll step brings the last planet slightly past fully visible without entirely hiding the top planet, then scroll bar disappears leaving the top planet partially obscured. Merely dragging the scroll bar to the bottom does not advance it so far & this does not happen in that case.
sidepanel_1.png
sidepanel_1.png (30.78 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
sidepanel_2.png
sidepanel_2.png (33.83 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Also the game seemed to run abnormally slow, even in a 50 system test with no monsters and no AIs. I don't have hard comparison number s though.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: More [SVN 6836] feedback

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:Also the game seemed to run abnormally slow, even in a 50 system test with no monsters and no AIs.
What does "run abnormally slow" mean?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

It was taking several seconds per turn at an early stage of the game in that small galaxy with no AIs and no monsters. But perhaps there was something going on with my machine, I'm not noticing it so much in some further testing. So ignore that for now, it may be nothing and is certainly less important than the other issues.

On the structure thing, I noticed a little more, testing with a clean 6838 -- when I produce scouts they appear to start at their proper 5 structure points, but if I leave them in my home system then on the next turn I get an unexpected message about the drydock repairing them; if I move them out of the home system immediately upon construction then the next turn they show up with zero structure points. A mark I that I create though starts out showing zero structure points.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Structure (and fuel) issue should be fixed.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:On the more minor side, there is a scroll problem which might have been there all along but seems more likely to come up with the larger scroll step -- I just noticed this in the sidepanel & it may be specific to that --
I think / suspect this is specific to the sidepanel, and unrelated to listbox / multiedit scroll step changes. The sidepanel doesn't actually use a listbox to display its planet panels, and at least in my test, the step size for the scroll is one (collapsed) planet panel, not 5.

There are a bunch of issues with the sidepanel scrolling... my current pet peeve is that it resets its position between turns. Fixing it didn't work before I ran out of patience with the distraction recently, unfortunately.