Universe Generation

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
What Exit?
Space Floater

Universe Generation

#1 Post by What Exit? »

New test build (SVN 6838) seems to have a universe generation glitch. I've tried a few dozen starts and get plenty of Caretaker fruit planets but either none or only 1 for Ki Spice & Probiotic soup planets. For the last 2 tests I had changed the research time and cost for the SPY_DETECTs to cost .1 and take 1 turn so by turn 5 I could survey a large number of planets. I had 6 Fruits, 1 Soup and no Spice. The prior game had 7 Fruits and 0 of the others.

Op Sys: Win 7 Home 64bit

I attached my turn 5 save by suffixing .txt to end of filename.
Attachments
FreeOrion_i_i_0005_20140207_125622.sav.txt
(1008.15 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Universe Generation

#2 Post by MatGB »

I have actually noticed a lack of variety in growth specials as well, hadn't occured to me to check actual numbers.

FWIW for you, as you're using a test release, if you're just looking at generation, either use multiplayer or convert to Super Testers, they can see the whole galaxy immediately they take over your homeworld, useful for this sort of thing.

Looking at the specials file, Fruit should be slightly more common as it has one more possible spawn planet type, but has otherwise the same chances. My current game, which I'm about to finish, has 4 Fruits but none of the others, on a medium specials layout.

Checking through, Fruit is the only growth special I've got with the exception of Slimaline Crystals, which has only appeared on asteroids and should be appearing randomly on lots of planet types.
Attachments
growth-specials.png
growth-specials.png (33.13 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

It seems I've noticed that also. Natives is another thing that often seems really skewed to me; to help track that I just recently added a little extra server-side logging to universe/UniverseGenerator.cpp. It sounds like I should probably add some more logging to show the distribution of specials & then commit that so that everyone interested can see their actual numbers.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish

#4 Post by Dilvish »

ok, I put in those changes, and indeed the growth specials are unbalanced -- Fruit and Crystals are maxing out, but no others are spawning. I'll look at it more.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Having been curious, the next game I've started is set to High specials, despite this I'm not seeing many at all, of any type. Admittedly it's still Low planets, but at 400 systems and my Laenfa having got through half the ring I'd expect to see more than I'm seeing, of any type.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

What Exit?
Space Floater

#6 Post by What Exit? »

Sorry I posted the problem to the wrong spot. Thanks for moving it to its own thread.
Thanks MatGB for the Super Testers suggestion I should have thought of that.

Dilvish, how would I access the server-side logging to universe/UniverseGenerator.cpp?

Dilvish

#7 Post by Dilvish »

What Exit? wrote:Dilvish, how would I access the server-side logging to universe/UniverseGenerator.cpp?
Look here. freeoriond.log will be the name of the server log

Dilvish

#8 Post by Dilvish »

Ok, so I think I have it figured out. The problem summary is that the current code and data structures lead to high odds (very high in low planet galaxies) that the specials other than Crystals and Fruits will come up when a system is under consideration and then be skipped over. The basic solution is that AddStartingSpecials() needs some more randomness injected into it.

The basic structure of AddStartingSpecials() is an outer loop over all objects once, and an inner loop that cycles through the specials. In the inner loop it checks if the current special has not reached its spawn limit and is compatible with the current object, if so it marks a flag that it is attempting to add a special and does a random roll check against the special's frequency, adding it to the object if that passes. If at the end of the inner loop it advances to the next special (back to the beginning if need be), and then if it's reached the first special it had checked for that object, or if the flag is marked that it attempted to add a special to that object, then it drops out of the inner loop and the outer loop advances to the next object.

With just those details so far that's not necessarily a flawed approach; it has a potential weakness because it's always processing objects and specials in a fixed order (objects are essentially considered in order created, and specials are considered in alphabetical order); in the past that had worked out. The recent code change that made this go from working well enough to not doing so, is that now rather than creating all the systems first and then creating all the planets, we now create a system and its planets together. This interacts poorly with the current distribution of specials taken alphabetically -- the growth specials other than Crystals have a much much higher spawnrate than any other special, and are almost entirely clumped together. The new object distribution creates the most problems in low planet setups, where the objects tend to alternate System, Planet, System (systems might be found in a row, but planets are almost always folllowed by systems). To cut a long story short, the structure leads to high odds (very high in low planet galaxies) that the specials other than Crystals and Fruits will come up when a system is under consideration and then be skipped over.

I'll try implementing things so that at the start of each outer object loop, it will select a new random order for the specials to be considered for that object.

Dilvish

#9 Post by Dilvish »

ok, I think I have it fixed now; at the very least I'm getting reasonable looking distribution of growth specials. I went ahead and committed the fix. I also added a small chance (currently 8%) of considering more than one add-attempt per object. Since each add-attempt has a strong chance of failing, the effect of that is to increase the total number of applied specials by about that same chance amount, and give a much much smaller chance of applying two specials to an object (seems to be working out to something less than half a percent right now). I thought I remembered there being some chance of that before also, though I didn't find any hint of it in the latest code. That could easily have the chance lowered or taken out altogether; feedback requested.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

Will need to wait until it's compiled into a new exe next week, I looked into compiling myself and I don't think my laptop will manage it, it's below the min specs in the wiki and isn't in great condition anyway. Given the current test release has the generation code in default but SVN has the new folder and that requires changes in compiled files I'll do some test generations as soon as a new version is available.
Mat Bowles

Dilvish

#11 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:Will need to wait until it's compiled into a new exe next week, I looked into compiling myself and I don't think my laptop will manage it, it's below the min specs in the wiki and isn't in great condition anyway.
I think adrian_broher has been making some changes that ease the compilation demands, so I wouldn't assume it won't work without giving it a try. But it might still be a lot of hassle; I'm not familiar with the windows setup. If we're lucky Vezzra might have time for an early build.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:If we're lucky Vezzra might have time for an early build.
The reason I do the weekly builds on Monday is that usually the weekend is where people get quite a lot of work done, so making new builds on Monday ensures all the weekend work gets into them. I won't have time for new builds today (Saturday), as it's already too late in the evening now, but if so desired, I can make new test builds tomorrow (Sunday) instead of Monday. It just doesn't make much sense to make builds on both days IMO.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

Normally, Monday builds make sense, but the current test still has the ships starting with no structure issue and a few other things theoretically fixed, that alone makes testing other features a PITA as it's hard to know what is and isn't balanced when the AI fleets sometimes die when you sneeze at them, etc.

If you can do one tomorrow, that'd definitely help me as there's a chunk of things fixed in SVN that I'd love to test properly, but I think your normal approach works best unless there's a major issue, as with the current and previous builds.
Mat Bowles

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:If you can do one tomorrow, that'd definitely help me as there's a chunk of things fixed in SVN that I'd love to test properly
Done. :)

Dilvish

#15 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:
MatGB wrote:If you can do one tomorrow, that'd definitely help me as there's a chunk of things fixed in SVN that I'd love to test properly
Done. :)
Whoohoo! Thanks Vezzra!