[6870] Win8.1, UI

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Chriss
Dyson Forest

[6870] Win8.1, UI

#1 Post by Chriss »

I've been playing 9870 on Win8.1. Works fine in fullscreen. However, I did have issues with switching back to the desktop. Win + D does not work. Alt + Tab does not work. Is that normal? Could you please change that, so I can check other things while playing FO?

Then, some word on the default UI layout in the Design Screen.
Currently, It's like this:

Code: Select all

Description of the ship (10% x 100%)
--------------------------------------
Ship view view with slots (80% x 100%)
--------------------------------------
Ship Parts (10% x 100%)
The Problem with this: I do not need the width of the ship view, and I do not need the width of the description view. But I would like to have more height for the description part, because then I could glance at the stats of my ship without scrolling.

So I'd like to propose a default layout similar to this:

Code: Select all

description |              ship
view        |              view
(30% x 70%) |              (70% x 70%)
---------------------------------------------------
ship parts (30% x 100%)
Yes, I know I can change it, and it's not too hard to do - but it's annoying to do it every time I start or load a game.

If this can be configured somewhere, please give me a pointer, then I'll have a look and maybe create a patch...

A general question - you seem to focus on Windows for development? Because it is rather hard to play FO in Linux - Arch Linux does not have (working) packages any more. That is strange, considering that Arch has AUR Packages for just about everything, typically. A dev dropped it 3 Months ago. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to complain about your style or development platform preference. I simply would prefer to play this in Linux, not in Win, and thought I'd mention it.
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: [6870] Win8.1, UI

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

Chriss wrote:A general question - you seem to focus on Windows for development?
No we don't.
Chriss wrote:Because it is rather hard to play FO in Linux - Arch Linux does not have (working) packages any more. That is strange, considering that Arch has AUR Packages for just about everything, typically. A dev dropped it 3 Months ago.
It's up to Arch to provide packages. If they are not tell the upstream (us) about their problems with packaging how should we even know about them or even fix them? Instead this guy moans on a mailing list nobody aside of arch devs follows. Geeze…

Especially if most of his points have been tackled/fixed the recent month (by me) or are just plain wrong.

So yeah, no. It's their problem. Other downstreams (debian for example) are much more sane in this regard.
Chriss wrote:Don't get me wrong, I don't want to complain about your style or development platform preference.
Feel free to complain as long:
  • your complains are sensible
  • you are able to describe the problem you have
  • (optional) can suggest a way to make the current implementation better
Resident code gremlin
Git author: Marcel Metz

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Chriss wrote:Win + D does not work. Alt + Tab does not work. Is that normal? Could you please change that, so I can check other things while playing FO?
If you can suggest how... Presumably something about how Ogre is being set up, but I don't immediately know. If I want a larger window, I generally run it in a window, but maximized on Windows 7. At the least, you might be able to untick the fullscreen option and Apply in the options video tab.
If [design screen layout] can be configured somewhere, please give me a pointer, then I'll have a look and maybe create a patch...
That layout is done in the DesignWnd constructor.

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Chriss »

adrian_broher wrote:So yeah, no. It's their problem. Other downstreams (debian for example) are much more sane in this regard.
*shrug*
I don't know what the story is with that maintainer, and It's not that important to me. It looked like a pattern, so I thought I'd ask...

As you probably figured from my ogre 1.9 thread you convinced me to try it (with the svn version, not the compile-package from Arch's AUR), and it indeed looks like most of his complaints have been fixed. make -j4 worked fine, It did compile fine with 4 Gigs of Ram on my AMD Trinity ULV Notebook, and it did not take hours either. More like an hour if I'd have to guess. That's great!

I haven't tried to actually install it, or fix the package since I'm fine with simply running the binary in the compile directory from cmd. Maybe there are more issues with that. Maybe I'll try that some time and report.

Anyway, my main point with this thread was to report that Win8.1 works fine, and the Design Window layout suggestion.
Geoff the Medio wrote:If you can suggest how... Presumably something about how Ogre is being set up, but I don't immediately know. If I want a larger window, I generally run it in a window, but maximized on Windows 7. At the least, you might be able to untick the fullscreen option and Apply in the options video tab.
No clue, sorry. ;)
As for the fullscreen toggle, that's a good tip, I'll try that. Thx.

I also noticed how dependent I've become on things like CTRL + Delete or Backspace deleting a whole word (doesn't work either), or keep pressing Backspace / Delete deleting multiple characters. It's not insanely important, it's just a annoying. It's the same in Linux (got it to compile). I've also had issues with not beeing able to type characters in descriptions in the past and on Linux. Not consistent yet though, so just FYI.
That layout is done in the DesignWnd constructor.
Too bad... I was hoping it might be a Textfile somewhere. I just had a quick look, but I don't get all that GUI Code. So no patch from me, sorry. Would be nice for Usability though, if it's not a big change.