tooltips

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

tooltips

#1 Post by Dilvish »

The recent reduction in tooltip delay has made me painfully aware of how often they substantially block the UI element I'm trying to interact with. Below is a typical happenstance, showing me trying to adjust the tooltip delay with almost no visibility of the widget. :lol:
tooltip.png
tooltip.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 663 times
I'm not positive the shortened delay is necessarily the problem, but has certainly made it more noticeable to me. It has also been interfering with my review of the production queue. The delay is the only thing I can control via options, but I am feeling that it would be better for the tooltips to appear higher above the cursor, or possibly more to the right, or both, or something.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: tooltips

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

GG::BrowseInfoWnd has a boost::function,

Code: Select all

mutable boost::function<
        Pt (const Pt&, const boost::shared_ptr<Cursor>&, const BrowseInfoWnd&, const Wnd&)
    > PositionWnd;
that can be set to some other function to determine the position of the tooltip. A reasonable place to set this would probably be in the IconTextBrowseWnd constructor in InfoPanels.cpp, and similar constructors for any other customized tooltip classes.

The existing BrowseInfoWnd positioning code is:

Code: Select all

void BrowseInfoWnd::Update(std::size_t mode, const Wnd* target)
{
    UpdateImpl(mode, target);
    Pt new_pos;
    if (PositionWnd) {
        new_pos = PositionWnd(m_cursor_pos, GUI::GetGUI()->GetCursor(), *this, *target);
    } else {
        const Y MARGIN(2);
        new_pos = m_cursor_pos - Pt(Width() / 2, Height() + MARGIN);
    }
    MoveTo(new_pos);
    [...]
That positions the browse wnd centred horizontally on the cursor, and above it so the bottom is just above the curor position. An alternative might be to position it to the bottom-right of the cursor, or on the edge of the control for which the browse wnd is being created, so it's not overlapping at all.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: tooltips

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

See the attached example that repositions a particular tooltip type. These appear for techs on the tree (and probably others, but that was the first I saw...)
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]