Nice but lack of overview

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
toolforger
Space Floater

Re: Nice but lack of overview

#16 Post by toolforger »

Oh okay. I guess OIS cursor handling is generally unreliable/broken.
Strengthens the case for putting in the hardware cursor, though that may not be so simple (and create other points of unreliability). Seems like a lot of work to get rid of an annoyance, and I guess that's why it's still there.

Where's the proper way to give feedback on GUI usability issues?
There's a whole lot, of the breaks-the-flow type.
Some of the points I raised have turned out to be more of the "I didn't find it in the GUI" type rather than of the "it's not in the game" type, and rearranging the flow is probably easier/better than adding new features.

Vegavis
Space Squid

Mouse offset

#17 Post by Vegavis »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The problem is that mouse actions (clicks, drags, etc). in the UI will use the OIS mouse position, which might be lag behind the system mouse cursor position. In Windows, this generally looks like there's a one-cursor mouse trail being rendered. The OIS cursor eventually catches up to the OS cursor, but the slight "lag" means clicks aren't going to be registered when the player expects.
This is different from the problem I see (on X11). The FreeOrion cursor is always about 8 pixels up and left of the system cursor position: when the cursor is at (100, 100), FO thinks it's at (92, 92). It doesn't catch up; it's a constant offset. This affects clicks, mouseover, and the custom cursor.