Interesting crash

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
mileser
Space Squid

Interesting crash

#1 Post by mileser »

I was trying to create a new fleet after selecting multiple ships. I dragged the list to the create new fleet row and that's when the game crashed. Not a big deal, just an FYI.

Version: FreeOrion-7119-MacOSX-10.6
Also: If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Interesting crash

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you can reproduce it, please describe how. Otherwise, there's not much that can be done.

At the least, in cases such as this, immediately locate and save the log files from after the crash, and post them with the report.

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

#3 Post by coCoKNIght »

System OS X 10.9.4
Game Version r7380 and older
Number of times I experienced this game crash: 2
Game mode: Multiplayer

Description:
Game crashes just when releasing LMB while dragging multiple ships into a new fleet.

Usually this functionality works without issues though.

The logs don't look like they can provide much information on this. Is there somwhere else I could look for more debug info?

freeorion.log:
2014-08-11 21:48:00,774 DEBUG Client : MapWnd::SelectedShipsChanged time: 11.707
2014-08-11 21:48:02,992 DEBUG Client : MapWnd::SelectedShipsChanged time: 11.591

freeoriond.log:
2014-08-11 21:48:08,076 DEBUG Server : ServerNetworking::DisconnectImpl : disconnecting player 1
2014-08-11 21:48:08,076 DEBUG Server : ServerFSM::HandleNonLobbyDisconnection : Lost connection to player #1, named "coCoKNIght"; server terminating.
2014-08-11 21:48:08,110 DEBUG Server : ServerNetworking::DisconnectImpl : disconnecting player 18
2014-08-11 21:48:08,110 DEBUG Server : ServerFSM::HandleNonLobbyDisconnection : Lost connection to player #18, named "AI_16"; server terminating.
2014-08-11 21:48:08,111 DEBUG Server : ServerFSM::HandleNonLobbyDisconnection : All human players disconnected; server terminating.
2014-08-11 21:48:10,111 DEBUG Server : Initiating Exit (code 1 - error termination)
2014-08-11 21:48:10,111 DEBUG Server : ServerApp::CleanupAIs() telling AIs game is ending
2014-08-11 21:48:10,111 DEBUG Server : ServerApp::CleanupAIs() waiting 1 second for AI processes to clean up...
2014-08-11 21:48:11,111 DEBUG Server : ServerApp::CleanupAIs() killing 19 AI clients.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

hmm, we had a spate of that something like a year ago, had hoped that beast had been vanquished. I had worked some on tracking down the previous problem(s), IIRC some of the previous trouble had involved listbox row drop code, but may have really been caused by some poor universe object pointer handling, which was cleaned up a lot in the latter part of 2013. I don't think there is an easy way to get more relevant logging; you can try turning on Verbose Logging in options, but that is mostly regarding Effects processing (which could be getting triggered by transfer of ships between fleets, so it's worth a try). If you can compile FO yourself, there may be some existing helpful logging lines in UI/FleetWnd.cpp that could be uncommented, or you could just add more.

If you can't compile, then in addition to Verbose logging, simply any additional info on how to replicate would be helpful, though it sounds like just as last time, this is difficult to replicate.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Are those the complete logs, or just bits you thought looked interesting? If the latter, next time please post the whole things from immediately after a crash, unless asked for just an excerpt.

mileser
Space Squid

#6 Post by mileser »

OK, just happened to me again. Was taking 6 ships from my transport fleet to create a new fleet. the ships were not next to each other in order.
Attached are log files.
Attachments
FreeOrion_2014-08-11-222101_Crash.txt
Text of Crash log (if it matters)
(54.1 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
freeoriond.log
freeoriond.log
(151.48 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
freeorion.log
Freeorion.log
(110.28 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Also: If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

mileser
Space Squid

#7 Post by mileser »

Tried to repeat the crash, but the 2nd try, it worked flawlessly and I don't remember all the other things I had done prior to trying to create the new fleet.

However, Here is a pictorial representation of what I was trying to do...
Attachments
Starting point prior to selecting ships to put into new fleet.
Starting point prior to selecting ships to put into new fleet.
Screenshot 1.png (70.16 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Picture after having selected the 6 ships to create the new fleet (I've selected all of the ships that I plan on keeping in the system to conduct invasions.)
Picture after having selected the 6 ships to create the new fleet (I've selected all of the ships that I plan on keeping in the system to conduct invasions.)
Screen Shot 2.png (118.68 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Here is where I'm moving the 6 ships to the create new fleet row.
Here is where I'm moving the 6 ships to the create new fleet row.
Screen Shot 3.png (156.23 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

#8 Post by coCoKNIght »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Are those the complete logs, or just bits you thought looked interesting? If the latter, next time please post the whole things from immediately after a crash, unless asked for just an excerpt.
It's all the logs with the timestamp of the crash, anything else is too old to be relevant, or so i thought.

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

#9 Post by coCoKNIght »

@mileser: it might be a coincidence but i think it's interesting, that you say, you were moving 6 ships. I'm pretty sure I was moving 6 ships as well, and the first time it happened to me it might have been 6 again. Also, it seems that in all cases reported, there were already multiple fleets at the system.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

I've had this happen recently as well, I didn't think much of it as it's an old bug I didn't think had been dealth with fully, perhaps something has made it more common again.

Always happens after been playing for awhile, so linked to lag/leak issues.

FWIW guys, looking at screenshots, something I only discovered very recently, you don't need to split a fleet that's landing troops if you just want the rest to move on, give them a move order and they move after invasions are resolved, so anything left in the fleet will move. Same applies for colony fleets although that's a lot less common. Because of this crach I try to split/merge fleets as rarely as possible and then I try to do it with the right-click commands, obvs troop fleets need splitting more than most.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

mileser
Space Squid

#11 Post by mileser »

Thank you for that bit of info. Still, a little harder if you're trying to send troop ships to different locales.

I also figured out last night that you can select troop ships from the fleet and that will then allow you to choose which ships are used for any given invasion. That was very useful.