Double letters for ship design name [7146]

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
mem359
Dyson Forest

Double letters for ship design name [7146]

#1 Post by mem359 »

Around turn 160, if I design a new ship and type in a new name, it gives me two letters for each key that is typed. (See attached file.) Maybe other people can check this out, to see if it is a Mac build only problem, or something universal.

This has happened for at least the last two weekly builds. (Don't remember exactly when it started.)

I don't know if it is the turn (around 160), file size, or some other condition. (Maybe getting some specific tech is triggering it?) I can go back to the auto save for turn 155 or earlier, and the "design name" acts normally.

(EDIT: I went to the auto save, and this effect happened on turn 158. There were no tech advances on this turn. I'll start a new game with a little different galaxy size, and see if it happens on the same turn or not.)
Attachments
Typed the same thing for the "design name" and the "description".
Typed the same thing for the "design name" and the "description".
ship_build_double.jpg (48.65 KiB) Viewed 2689 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Double letters for ship design name [7146]

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

I notice that I now get compilation warnings about initializing attributes out of order in GG Edit.h / Edit.cpp (perhaps as of as of [7095]), which seems potentially related to this problem.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:I notice that I now get compilation warnings about initializing attributes out of order in GG Edit.h / Edit.cpp (perhaps as of as of [7095]), which seems potentially related to this problem.
Seems very unlikely to be relevant warning, to me.

Edit: It's probably due to some timing issues and the tests to see if sufficient delay has happened between an initial button press while it's still being held down in order to start adding additional characters. Note that in the other thread, I think there was a discussion about button clicks also doubling sometimes. The code for the keypress repeat is essentially the same, so something like Edit initialization or is very unlikely to be specifically relevant.

I tweaked the Edit initialization code ordering anyway though, to quiet the warnings.

mem359
Dyson Forest

#5 Post by mem359 »

Geoff the Medio wrote:See: viewtopic.php?p=69244#p69244
Thanks for the link. Since I wasn't using multiple screens, I didn't suspect that we were describing similar symptoms.
I'll put a link there back to this thread, and make an entry over there (since my situation is not exactly the same as what they are seeing).

For future reference, is it better to put these type of feature/bug reports in "play-testing feedback", or in "support"?

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

mem359 wrote:For future reference, is it better to put these type of feature/bug reports in "play-testing feedback", or in "support"?
There's no simple distinction, but I'd think technical interface issues would more often be in support, while design issues would more often be in play test feedback. This is more the former.