Core Slots

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
mem359
Dyson Forest

Core Slots

#1 Post by mem359 »

The "singularity engine core" has been around for a while now.
I haven't discovered any ship hulls with a "core slot".

(I figured that the "cores" would enter the game as a package deal, both ship parts and hulls, rather than putting in a tech for a ship part that cannot be used.)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Core Slots

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

In ship_hulls.txt the hulls SH_XENTRONIUM and SH_SELF_GRAVITATING have a core slot.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

I'm looking at the idea of adding more core slots toa variety of top tier hulls in the patch I'm working on (it's alreayd going to be massive, why not make it comprehensively so), but am not sure exactly what to do with it.

The Xentronium Hull is, currently, only used for the Dragon Tooth, which uses it for the Zero Point Fuel module, neither of these are, currently, researchable (and as per discussions eslewhere I think both should be, especially the module).

So there's one core slot part (which is ludicrously expensive and I'm proposing cutting it's cost significantly int he patch) and currently one hull with a slot that you can build, the Self Gravitating Hull.

I'm thinking all end-of-line hulltypes should have a core slot (ie Sentient, Logistics, Solar and the big Asteroid Swarm thing) and that a few more parts should either be made Core or added.

Basically, Geoff added them to the backend code about, oh, a year ago, and no one did anything with scripting for them. That will be changing but there have been more important things to do. It didn't help that the Self Gravitating Hull was one of the so ludicrously expensive you never use it hulls untl very recently.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

mem359
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by mem359 »

I had some follow up questions for Geoff's response, but MatGB answered them before I could submit my post.
Thanks to both of you for clearing this up.

It does seem odd that a ship hull with only 6 external and 2 internal slots has a core slot, but the Solar and Titanic hulls do not.

If the Xentronium Hull and Zero Point Fuel modules are not researchable, maybe make them another reward for the Ancient Ruins. Or make them found techs in addition to the generated Dragon Tooth.(The Krill Generator seems kind of useless, but maybe I'm not thinking of the right strategy.)