Dual Specials

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
AndrewW
Juggernaut

Dual Specials

#1 Post by AndrewW »

Growth.png
Growth.png (10.03 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Should two specials benefiting from the same focus appear on the same planet?

(Caretakers Fruit and Ferric Minerals in this case)

One planet focused on growth and two different species types benefit in this case.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Dual Specials

#2 Post by Dilvish »

There is a fairly small chance of getting two specials on a planet, but their distributions are not otherwise modified so two growth specials are probably the most comment pairing. I don't see a problem with it; seems fun to me in fact. One of these days that code will get moved into the python UniverseGenerator, and then could be customized more.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

I'm not sure how small it is, I've seen it fairly regularly (but not counted), best I've had was an Abaddoni Tiny homeworld with two Lithic specials in the middle of a set of toxic/radiated planets with no other species nearby. It started when the fix for makign sure we got some random specials went live but that was such an improvement overall I figured worth the occasional double special.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

mem359
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by mem359 »

MatGB wrote:I'm not sure how small it is, I've seen it fairly regularly (but not counted)
Same here.

And as random as it is, I've been amused/annoyed how often there is a bad native inhabiting the planet, like Raaagh on a computronium moon (no research focus) or Trenchers on a planet with dual organic growth specials (no growth focus).

(Not saying it should change; this type of frustration works for the game.)

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:I'm not sure how small it is, I've seen it fairly regularly (but not counted)
The way it is now, it goes through all the objects at creation; for each one it cycles through the specials in a randomized order, until it either hits the end of the list or finds one not maxxed out and whose location test passes for the object; it then checks the special's spawnrate test and if that passes it adds the special. At that point, whether or not the spawnrate test passed, there is a 92% chance it will just stop, and an 8% chance it will continue checking specials for that object.

So there's a max of 8% chance of multiple specials on an object; if everything had a 50% spawnrate chance (which also depends on the specials density setting) then it would work out to one fourth of that, a 2% chance of multiple specials being applied. If you guys think the 8% repeat attempt rate is too high then it could easily be lowered.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0