Problem with FreeOrion-7205-Test-Win32-Setup on a Win7 64bit

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
What Exit?
Space Floater

Problem with FreeOrion-7205-Test-Win32-Setup on a Win7 64bit

#1 Post by What Exit? »

I did the install over my 7136 and it would not start the game after the install. Then I tried an uninstall, reboot and install of 7205 and again it appeared to install fine but then would not start.

I then downloaded FreeOrion-7195-Test-Win32-Setup and it installed and ran fine.

This is a Win7 64bit PC 12GM ram with an AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor @ 2.8GHz.

Not sure if any other Win7 users are having issues.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Problem with FreeOrion-7205-Test-Win32-Setup on a Win7 6

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Log files?

What Exit?
Space Floater

#3 Post by What Exit? »

Vezzra wrote:Log files?
I can't remember, where do I find the Log files? Did I have to switch something on to generate them?

Once I know where, I will do the install again and try running it and send then attach the log files.

I found the path from an old thread: C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion

Here is the Zip file of the 2 logs generated by the fail to start.
Attachments
freeorion.zip
(5.06 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

I'm on Win7 64bit and it runs fine for me (I'd be screaming if it weren't, #7205 is my biggest patch to date), and I ran a vanilla install this week before doing my normal install multiple patches thing.

Your machine is more higher spec than my creaking laptop but I can't see how a better machine would make it less likely to run.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

What Exit? wrote:Here is the Zip file of the 2 logs generated by the fail to start.
It looks like it is failing early during the startup process, apparently right after registering designs in the DesignWnd and just before limiting FPS. So no strong indication of the problem, but it suggests to me that it might relate to incompatible config files -- so either just before installing 7205, or just after installing but before running it, you could try deleting config.xml from the same directory where you found the log files.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

What Exit?
Space Floater

#6 Post by What Exit? »

Dilvish wrote:
What Exit? wrote:Here is the Zip file of the 2 logs generated by the fail to start.
It looks like it is failing early during the startup process, apparently right after registering designs in the DesignWnd and just before limiting FPS. So no strong indication of the problem, but it suggests to me that it might relate to incompatible config files -- so either just before installing 7205, or just after installing but before running it, you could try deleting config.xml from the same directory where you found the log files.
I deleted the config.xml and reinstalled and the game does start.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Incompatible config.xml is unlikely to be an issue in recent versions, since it throws out any old config files which have a non-matching version string stored in them.

I can only guess the issue here is with some corrupted file, maybe getting mixed up during your install-over-top method. Try re-downloading the installer, uninstall, then delete the install directory to be sure it's gone (or install at a different location).

If it still doesn't work, try re-installing the previously-working version.

What Exit?
Space Floater

#8 Post by What Exit? »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Incompatible config.xml is unlikely to be an issue in recent versions, since it throws out any old config files which have a non-matching version string stored in them.

I can only guess the issue here is with some corrupted file, maybe getting mixed up during your install-over-top method. Try re-downloading the installer, uninstall, then delete the install directory to be sure it's gone (or install at a different location).

If it still doesn't work, try re-installing the previously-working version.
It didn't work, but I just installed the latest version instead (7222) and it is having the same problem that clears if I delete the config.xml file. It may be my PC. I am actually expecting my new PC this week. Hopefully I don't experience the same issues on it. It will also be Win 7 64bit, I still am not ready or willing to switch to Win 8.

Playing more with the Options, if I just change the screen size and exit and restart I am fine.
Tweaking the UI options to set Fonts to 11 and Tech Spacings to .25 & .25 is fine
Next I set Qs to only 240 Width: I think this is the culprit, I deleted just that line from the config.xml and I am back up and running. It looks like using the Queus width option may cause a problem.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What Exit? wrote:Next I set Qs to only 240 Width: I think this is the culprit, I deleted just that line from the config.xml and I am back up and running. It looks like using the Queus width option may cause a problem.
I reduced the queue width to about 219, and it worked fine...

What Exit?
Space Floater

#10 Post by What Exit? »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
What Exit? wrote:Next I set Qs to only 240 Width: I think this is the culprit, I deleted just that line from the config.xml and I am back up and running. It looks like using the Queus width option may cause a problem.
I reduced the queue width to about 219, and it worked fine...
I just got FreeOrion up and running on my new PC also Win 7 64bit. I set it down to 240 and it is working fine this time. So it looks like something is corrupt in my old computer.