Planet Ownership in Combat Reports

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Planet Ownership in Combat Reports

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It appears that sitrep combat reports display the ownership of planets (not sure about ships) at the time they are viewed. This may not be the ownership of the planet at the time of the combat. This situation might arise when capturing a planet, and then reviewing the combat log a few turns later. This is probably confusing, although avoiding it would presumably include recording the ownership of all objects involved in combats when the combat occurs...

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Planet Ownership in Combat Reports

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Hmm, that is a tricky problem, because it's not like you'd want to simply present it under the old ownership, either, I would think.

As some fodder for brainstorming I'll toss up an idea that seems probably around the most involved that we might consider: All UniverseObjects could contain a

Code: Select all

std::vector<std::pair<int,int> > ownership_history; // pair(empire, turn_owership_change_observed)
viewable in the pedia entry for that object (which might necessitate a little more change of pedia handling for ships). Visibility updates would be that if you have Full visibility you get the full history (i.e. storyline: if you get ownership of it you can review all its logs and figure out its past history), otherwise if you have Basic or Partial visibility and the history list is empty for you or the current owner is not the last entry in your copy of the history, then the history is appended with the current owner and, hmm, either current turn or possibly prior turn in some situations.

Sitrep entries / combat logs for an object that has changed ownership since the turn of the sitrep/log could use a change of font, shadowing or highlighting to flag that issue (which could then be checked in the pedia entry for the relevant object).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Foocaux
Space Squid

#3 Post by Foocaux »

There's already a way to indicate less-than-unique ownership in FO: when a star system's got 2 empires the first half or the name is one colour, the second half is another. (haven't seen a 3 empires system yet, but I suspect the name's written in 3 different colours as well)

If you reuse that colour scheme in a battle SitRep entry, you could associate the colours with the empire ownership before and after the battle.
The small print: Any code contribution I make to FreeOrion is made under GPL v2.0, any graphic contribution is under CC-by-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This issue isn't just about showing a planet in a sitrep immediately after the battle. The same problem applies to showing battles from 50 turns ago, when the planet has changed ownership 4 times in between amongst 3 different empires. The only sensible thing, I think, is to always show the ownership the planet had during the battle, as this makes it clearer which empires' stuff is firing at what other empire's stuff.