RC1: Crash in Moderator Mode

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Foocaux
Space Squid

RC1: Crash in Moderator Mode

#1 Post by Foocaux »

I just 'noticed' moderator mode last night, and I just found a reliable way of crashing it: go to ship designs, display the available designs list, right click design then 'delete design' from the pop-up menu.

At first I thought of just disabling that menu for moderators/observers, but I did come up with a different - and, for me, more useful - option: what about adding a 'show design' option at the top, equivalent to double clicking - with my steam powered laptop I end up having to double click twice, since FO is invariably busy updating the details window to actually notice the first double click - a minor irritant, but irritant nonetheless.

Moderators would then get 'show design' with a right click, while normal players would get 'show design' & 'delete design' for the predefined ones, and 'show design', 'rename design', 'delete design' for the ones they made themselves.

I'm already mostly done with a patch doing exactly that, but I do need to do some testing before releasing it.

Sounds good?
The small print: Any code contribution I make to FreeOrion is made under GPL v2.0, any graphic contribution is under CC-by-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: RC1: Crash in Moderator Mode

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Foocaux wrote:I just 'noticed' moderator mode last night, and I just found a reliable way of crashing it: go to ship designs, display the available designs list, right click design then 'delete design' from the pop-up menu.

At first I thought of just disabling that menu for moderators/observers...
Done in SVN.
what about adding a 'show design' option at the top, equivalent to double clicking
Adding such a feature is a separate issue. You should be able to drag-drop the design onto the main panel to view it, though. It's a bit quirky, though, as you'll probably notice.

Foocaux
Space Squid

#3 Post by Foocaux »

Geoff the Medio wrote: It's a bit quirky, though, as you'll probably notice.
Yep, I did notice, unfortunately.

Hence my thoughts about adding a feature as part of a bugfix. (/self makes innocent expression, :roll:)
But yes, at this stage it does make sense to postpone any new feature, however minimal, to after 0.4.4 :)
The small print: Any code contribution I make to FreeOrion is made under GPL v2.0, any graphic contribution is under CC-by-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Foocaux wrote:But yes, at this stage it does make sense to postpone any new feature, however minimal, to after 0.4.4 :)
Not really... the v0.4.4 release branch is independent of the trunk. Only selected changes are ported over. New features won't be.