Issues in 0.4.4 RC3 & RC4

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

Re: Issues in 0.4.4 RC3

#16 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Don't sure if it game of guide issue. Hotkey F2 does not work for me. (windows7x64, RC3)
http://freeorion.org/index.php/V0.4_Qui ... _Report.29

Some hotkey stringtables missed. At option hotkey menu. See attach.
Attachments
hotkey.png
hotkey.png (32.97 KiB) Viewed 542 times
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#17 Post by Ouaz »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The link type should be shippart, not encyclopedia.
Geez, the fix was so simple. :lol:

So here's the patch (based on r7629 in Trunk):

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#18 Post by MatGB »

Ouaz wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:The link type should be shippart, not encyclopedia.
Geez, the fix was so simple. :lol:
So, it appears, is the person who introduced it.

*skulks into corner to hide*

Seriously, good catch, I tested it in one view but obviously missed it in the other, brand new part, first time I had to create something from scratch instead of just edit existing bits and pieces.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

Re: Issues in 0.4.4 RC3 & RC4

#19 Post by Ouaz »

I didn't create a new topic for the RC4 version, as the two have a very close release.

So, found a missing tech in the tech tree.

Planetary Cloaking Device is unlockable as a building. It is unlocked by tech Planetary Cloaking Device(Defense) which is unlocked by tech Dimensional Cloak(Intelligence).

But:

1- Tech Planetary Cloaking Device is not in the tech tree (nothing in the Defense branche).
2- It has a price of 9999 pts and 9999 turns.

Basically, the Planetary Cloaking Device teck & building are not unlockable. :P
missing_tech_plan_cloak_dev.PNG
missing_tech_plan_cloak_dev.PNG (29.36 KiB) Viewed 521 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by MatGB »

Correct. They're not meant to be. Where did you actually find them in game? I've only managed to get the detials to display by weird routes in the past, never actually seen it in the tech tree (it's supposed to be hidden but we've seen occasional glitches on it).

If you look at the tech itself, it's marked as unresearchable. I forget what it's there for to be honest, I think it's a proof of concept thing that got partially removed until someone did some work on it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#21 Post by Ouaz »

MatGB wrote:Correct. They're not meant to be. Where did you actually find them in game? I've only managed to get the detials to display by weird routes in the past, never actually seen it in the tech tree (it's supposed to be hidden but we've seen occasional glitches on it).
Just by checking in-game the translation of buidings and techs that have the same name.

The Planetary Cloaking Device building is displayed in the Production menu (and the Pedia). It is marked as "(FAILED) building unlocked for the empire", I clicked it to see which was the prerequisite (i.e. the tech with the same name), then on this tech to see which was its prerequisite (Dimensional Cloak).
plan_cloak_build_avail.png
plan_cloak_build_avail.png (17.06 KiB) Viewed 516 times
That's here I see that there was a minor problem: the odd price and the fact that nothing relating to the Planetary Cloaking Device tech in the tech tree! ^^
If you look at the tech itself, it's marked as unresearchable. I forget what it's there for to be honest, I think it's a proof of concept thing that got partially removed until someone did some work on it.
Oh yes, right (in techs.txt). In this case, shouldn't the PCD building be removed too (as it is not unlockable)?

Not a big deal, though. :wink:

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

Ouaz wrote:The Planetary Cloaking Device building is displayed in the Production menu (and the Pedia).
To see it in the producible items list you have to turn on unavailable items, which isn't the default and I think rarely ever done (I only enable the option if I miss an item I think should be there), so that's actually a very minor cosmetical issue. Definitely not something I'm going to make another RC build for. There are probably a plethora of other tiny glitches like this one, we won't get rid of all of them. That is to be expected in an alpha release.
In this case, shouldn't the PCD building be removed too (as it is not unlockable)?
You're right, it's probably better to just comment both the tech and the building out than to disable them the way it's currently done.