Issues in 0.4.4 RC3 & RC4

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Ouaz
Dyson Forest

Issues in 0.4.4 RC3 & RC4

#1 Post by Ouaz »

It seems that the en.txt file is not up-to-date.

The en.txt modifications from r7453 to r7516 (included) have not be implemented (these are the revisions between RC1 and RC2)

Example: the unused sound options for the focus selection are still here -line 2035 to 2051- (removed in r7453 and r7516).
en_txt_not_updated.PNG
en_txt_not_updated.PNG (36.38 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
Modifications from r7532 to r7608 are well implemented.

PS: the FR file is ok. :P
Last edited by Ouaz on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Issues in 0.4.4 RC3

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Are you complaining that strings are not removed, or that the options in the GUI are still present?

Not all changes to trunk are supposed to be moved to the release branch...

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Ouaz »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Are you complaining that strings are not removed, or that the options in the GUI are still present?

Not all changes to trunk are supposed to be moved to the release branch...
Oh, ok, I believed that as these strings were removed, it would be removed from the GUI too.

At first, I didn't understand why these english strings were displayed in french, because I thought it was removed in both files (and as I removed these lines in the fr.txt, these strings are no more translated...).

Well, sorry, it seems there's no problem then. :oops:
Except that I copied every update in the FR file, even those which have not been moved to the release branch... So the FR file is slightly different now (it doesn't seem to break anything).

How can I know which updates are needed to be copied and which aren't? :?:

EDIT: OK, found it here. (sorry, don't know yet very well how this sourceforge stuff works... but I'm getting better :mrgreen: )

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Hm, all updates to the English stringtable should go into the release branch, if that's not the case, then because I missed the respective commits. That's why I'd appreciate very much if others too would watch trunk for commits that should be merged, because given the amount of commits recently there's a good chance that I might miss something. It's been quite hard to keep track of everything.

The best person to judge if a commit should be merged is the one who did the commit of course ;) So either do the merge yourself immediately, or at least flag the commit for merging somehow - post on the forum or add a note to the commit message maybe?

As we are going to have RC4 anyway, we still can fix what I apparently missed. Which exactly are the commits that changed en.txt that should, but haven't been merged to the release branch?

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#5 Post by Ouaz »

Vezzra wrote:Hm, all updates to the English stringtable should go into the release branch, if that's not the case, then because I missed the respective commits.
Well, it seems it depends. For example, the commit [r7453] (diff here), which removed the Focus Sounds strings from the options menu, hasn't been moved to the release branch.

Maybe because it would display an error message in the options menu (as the GUI hasn't been modified yet).
Which exactly are the commits that changed en.txt that should, but haven't been merged to the release branch?
On the trunk (http://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/code ... les/en.txt), these ones haven't been merged to the release branch:
commit_not_merged.PNG
commit_not_merged.PNG (18.62 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
After what Geoff said, it seems it is intended? (most of they are not yet functionnal or will produce error messages). But how do you remember later that these commits have to be merged?
As we are going to have RC4 anyway, we still can fix what I apparently missed.
Good to know. I could fix the fr.txt file, in order to make it identical again with the en.txt file that is in the release branch (and not with the en.txt that is in the trunk!)

adrian_broher
Programmer

#6 Post by adrian_broher »

Ouaz wrote:Well, it seems it depends. For example, the commit [r7453] (diff here), which removed the Focus Sounds strings from the options menu, hasn't been moved to the release branch.
That's code cleanup. Nothing that should be in the release.

The release branch is for bug fixes and very important last minute features only (I wouldn't even merge features, but that's not up to me).
Ouaz wrote:Maybe because it would display an error message in the options menu (as the GUI hasn't been modified yet).
It doesn't, because trunk doesn't expose those options anymore. You should see trunk and release branch as different versions of the game, which differ in features already.
Which exactly are the commits that changed en.txt that should, but haven't been merged to the release branch? But how do you remember later that these commits have to be merged?
None of the commits you mention there should be merged. They contain new features or code clean up.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

Since it seems it should be mentioned in this thread as well--the dragging ship parts issue is cleared up.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Ouaz wrote:Well, it seems it depends. For example, the commit [r7453] (diff here), which removed the Focus Sounds strings from the options menu, hasn't been moved to the release branch.
Oh, I see. Well, of course, these kind of commits are not going to be merged, apparently my brain wasn't working right anymore yesterday evening ;)

So we can't avoid differences between the en.txt in trunk and the one in the release branch.
But how do you remember later that these commits have to be merged?
As Marcel said, they're not going to be merged. They are already in trunk, and won't be part of 0.4.4, so no need to remember anything.
I could fix the fr.txt file, in order to make it identical again with the en.txt file that is in the release branch (and not with the en.txt that is in the trunk!)
What you can do is to produce a fr.txt file that is identical to the en.txt file of the release branch, which will then only get comitted to the release branch. No need to change fr.txt in trunk, this one should stay identical to en.txt in trunk.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#9 Post by Ouaz »

Vezzra wrote:What you can do is to produce a fr.txt file that is identical to the en.txt file of the release branch, which will then only get comitted to the release branch. No need to change fr.txt in trunk, this one should stay identical to en.txt in trunk.
OK, I understand better now.

The minor problem is that I progress each day with the french translation (the fr file in the trunk in already obsolete)

So, I will submit one file for the release branch and one file for the trunk. I just need to specify which file it is when I submit it in the forum?

And I suppose that the RC4 deadline is for next monday (September 1st)?

That's all, thanks. :P

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

Ouaz wrote:So, I will submit one file for the release branch and one file for the trunk. I just need to specify which file it is when I submit it in the forum?
Exactly.
And I suppose that the RC4 deadline is for next monday (September 1st)?
Nope, Thursday evening (August 28th) ;)

I'm still hoping I can get the final RC build out before September. Because then I'm going to have substantially less spare time... :(

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#11 Post by Ouaz »

Vezzra wrote: Nope, Thursday evening (August 28th) ;)
Oooh, good to know! I'd better hurry up then (I want to check/translate at least the short strings -i.e. item names-, the bigger texts will wait the 0.4.5 version). :o
I'm still hoping I can get the final RC build out before September. Because then I'm going to have substantially less spare time... :(
Yeah, that must be a huge work to maintain all that stuff! Congrats and thanks for your work.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#12 Post by Ouaz »

Found a string that is not displayed in the Pedia (description of High Volcanic Activity Special):

Code: Select all

Line 5453

VOLCANIC_ACTIVITY_SPECIAL
High Volcanic Activity
VOLCANIC_ACTIVITY_SPECIAL_DESC
'''This planet has high levels of volcanic activity, possibly obscuring the planet's surface.'''
Result in-game in the Pedia:
pedia_volcanic_act_special.PNG
pedia_volcanic_act_special.PNG (18.07 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
EDIT: in Specials.txt, _DESC missing for VOLCANIC_ACTIVITY_SPECIAL on line 910

Line 910
Special
    name = "VOLCANIC_ACTIVITY_SPECIAL"
    description = "VOLCANIC_ACTIVITY_SPECIAL"
I let you guys make the fix, so you don't have to check unlike if I've posted a patch. :mrgreen:

EDIT 2: I did it, I think it's good:

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#13 Post by Vezzra »

Ouaz wrote:I did it, I think it's good
Committed to trunk and merged to the release branch.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#14 Post by Ouaz »

Found a broken link in the Pedia, in the Trans-Spatial Hull article.

Line 9346

SH_TRANSSPATIAL
Trans-Spatial Hull

SH_TRANSSPATIAL_DESC
'''This experimental hull is primarily for testing new technologies; it has one external slot and one core slot, and its max structure is extremely low. It was designed alongside the [[encyclopedia FU_TRANSPATIAL_DRIVE]] and if equipped with that can make a very effective infiltrating scout.
[[encyclopedia FU_TRANSPATIAL_DRIVE]] leads to an empty frame, instead of the Trans-Spatial Drive ship part:
trans_spatial_broken_link.PNG
trans_spatial_broken_link.PNG (27.06 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Click on Trans-Spatial Drive =
trans_spatial_broken_link2.PNG
trans_spatial_broken_link2.PNG (9.9 KiB) Viewed 966 times
instead of:
trans_spatial_ship_part.PNG
trans_spatial_ship_part.PNG (26.82 KiB) Viewed 966 times
It's weird because the link is only broken here. If you click on Trans-Spatial Drive ship part from the full technology article, the link to the Pedia works.

I didn't manage to fix it. :cry:

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The link type should be shippart, not encyclopedia.