Moving fleet overlap on map #7690

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Moving fleet overlap on map #7690

#1 Post by MatGB »

This has annoyed me, on occasions, for ages, but it's a minor gripe until you need the info. I have a fleet in orbit around an AI homeworld, I have troop ships available. The AI has a fleet inbound. At roughly the same place on the same starlane is a Floater.

At all zoom levels, it's impossible to select the AI fleet to find out a) how big/scary it is or b) when it arrives.

If there are multiple different fleets in asystem, then they're displayed in different places deliberately, but if there are multiple travelling, it can frequently be very difficult or impossible to select (or even see) some of the fleets moving.

Ideally, they'd be on different sides of the lane or something, or you'd get an "all fleets in transit" box or something. Not bothered what's done, but can somethign be?
Attachments
fleet-overlap.jpg
fleet-overlap.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 431 times
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Moving fleet overlap on map #7690

#2 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:Not bothered what's done, but can somethign be?
A couple possible approaches come to mind that seem decent to me. The simplest one would be to change the 'select next/previous fleet' hotkey function so it cycles through all fleets, not just ones owned by the player, or adding a new hotkey function for that purpose. The existing function already needs a little work because it includes destroyed fleets in its cycle, but they don't actually get displayed so as the game goes on it spends more and more time cycling to useless empty locations.

Another options would be to slightly change how fleets get assigned to fleetbuttons. Right now fleets get assigned to fleetbuttons in groups organized by (X,Y) coord and by owner. In starlanes only (we already have good treatment in systems) instead of using the exact (x,y), the coords could be rounded to the nearest 0.1 or something (ideally chosen according to the fleetbutton size and closest zoom level), without separating the grouping up by empire, and if the fleetbutton represented fleets from multiple empires it could be colored white or something.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0