Windowing

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
sderose
Space Krill

Windowing

#1 Post by sderose »

I've just started playing, and the game design seems really nice! The UI is driving me crazy, though. I think the one change that would make the biggest difference, would be to let users resize the root window to make enough room to keep most of the palettes up. I sepdn far too much of my time opening and closing windows and panes. A lot of people have 2 monitors, so being able to allocate one to the main map, and another to all the "administrative" stuff would be really nice. It would also make it far easier to see what's going on, if the planets appeared around their sunswhen I zoomed in -- just some little icons like for fleets would be enough; though if I zoom infar enough there's no obvious reason why the whole planet display shouldn't show up (the "PAD" interface from NYU did that kind of thing really nicely.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Windowing

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Many things could be improved in the UI... Actually implementing them takes time, and is a matter of priorities, though.