[newcomer] How to "unstealth" stealth planets ?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Raypulsif
Space Krill

[newcomer] How to "unstealth" stealth planets ?

#1 Post by Raypulsif »

Hi there,

first, thanks for this great game.

I'm a beginner, downloaded the game last week ("FreeOrion v0.4.4" then "FreeOrion Test Builds" because the first one crash on start).
So far, i'm in my 2nd game, and I have a problem, I don't know how to resolve it.

In this game, in some systems, when my ships arrive on a system, some or all of the planets are greyed (cloud icon(s)), I can't invade or colonise it.
I'm sure I have missed some tech to 'unstealth' them but I don't know which one.
Could you help me guys please ?

Although I think I will be overwheled at some point, my second game is very interesting at the moment, i'm playing Humans on a 4 branches galaxy with default AI (maniac).

Thx, and keep it on !

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: [newcomer] How to "unstealth" stealth planets ?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

What you need to do is work on some spy detection techs. Cloud Cover can be a pretty strong stealth and may require Neutron Scanner or even higher detection. Many of the initially stealthed planets can be seen once you get Active Radar. Installing a Lighthouse (from another spy tech) on some other planet in the system will also reduce the stealth of all planets in the system and can help detecting their surface.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

I am wondering, is it worth expanding the text in the stealth tooltips to give some of this advice? To me, detection tech was always an obvious early grab but a lot of people don't go for it at all for quite some time it seems, and the way stealth works in the game this can be a major disadvantage.

Oh, pet hate of mine—invisible planets. I get that the Furthest like to hide from people, but how on earth do they make their entire planet invisible, and where can I get the tech to do that?

(I also dislike the way cloud spawns currently work, but I do understand why they work that way)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Raypulsif
Space Krill

#4 Post by Raypulsif »

Thanks for the answer guys.

If i understand well what you say (English is not my native language), I need to tech up violet series. I will try that.

I was a bit troubled, because on these techs the tooltip says better part ship would only increase detection range.

Dilvish

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Raypulsif wrote:I was a bit troubled, because on these techs the tooltip says better part ship would only increase detection range.
The ship part granted by the tech just increases detection range for that particular ship, but the tech itself increases detection strength empire-wide and also increases detection range for owned planets.
MatGB wrote:Oh, pet hate of mine—invisible planets. I get that the Furthest like to hide from people, but how on earth do they make their entire planet invisible, and where can I get the tech to do that?
They're only totally invisible from a distance, i.e. other star systems, which doesn't seem outrageous to me. As soon as you get a ship into the same system you become aware of their planet, just not them.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

MatGB wrote:Oh, pet hate of mine—invisible planets. I get that the Furthest like to hide from people, but how on earth do they make their entire planet invisible, and where can I get the tech to do that?
They're only totally invisible from a distance, i.e. other star systems, which doesn't seem outrageous to me. As soon as you get a ship into the same system you become aware of their planet, just not them.[/quote]
Are you sure on that one?

It's hard to be 100% certain on this one because the UI doesn't actually tell you what planets you've visited, but I'm sure I've not seen planets in systems I've had scouts in.

In addition, given the UI doesn't record where you've visited and stealth is supposed to be a simple see it/don't see it paradigm, I don't like it even if that is the way it definitely works (which I'll test ASAP).

Regardless, my mind is boggled at the idea that a planet with dense clouds covering the surface is somehow invisible to a telescope in the neighbouring system while it's neighbours aren't, I know "realism" isn't something we care about, but suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

Raypulsif, if the tooltip isn't clear we need to rewrite it, we've been improving the way stealth is presented in many ways of late, it obviously needs more work done. But yes, violet techs are very important, at least the detection line—Active Radar and Neutron Scanner are needed, I try to get the former by turn 50 and the latter by turn 100 in every game, and will go for Neutron Scanner early if I spot Laenfa ships scouting around, you can't see Laenfa colonies, let alone invade them, without either Neutron Scanner tech or some more advanced/complex strategies.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish

#7 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:Are you sure on that one?
That's how it has seemed to me, and checking the code just now, that's how it's supposed to work:

Code: Select all

/** sets planets in system where an empire owns an object to be basically
      * visible, and those systems to be partially visible */
    void SetSameSystemPlanetsVisible(const ObjectMap& objects) {

Raypulsif
Space Krill

#8 Post by Raypulsif »

MatGB wrote: Raypulsif, if the tooltip isn't clear we need to rewrite it, we've been improving the way stealth is presented in many ways of late
It was me. I just wasn't paying attention. I think it's fine as it is. :D
In fact, i was trapped, thinking that "sensors" part ships would uncover stealth planet (reading "detection" in the tooltip, not the latter word). There's another part ship for that.

Nice game overall.