Found buggy tech and ship part.

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
codekiddy
Space Floater

Found buggy tech and ship part.

#1 Post by codekiddy »

Hello, after playing the game for 2 days I noticed 2 things but I'm unsure whether this are bugs or not.

A Tech called "Force-energy structure" found in 'Construction' tree is according to tech description supposed to "increase the growth of resource meters bellow target value to 3 per turn, and decrease 5 per turn above target value"

after researching this tech my resource meters continue to increase 1 per turn not 3.

second thing is "Robotic interface: shield"
when I add this ship part to robotic hull or any other hull, the ship design is not show in construction chooser window.
when removing "robotic interface" from ship design the ship design shows up normally.

am I missing something about these 2 things? thank you!

Mitten.O
Programmer

Re: Found buggy tech and ship part.

#2 Post by Mitten.O »

You can only build ships with the robotic interface shields on colonies with a robotic species. That should be mentioned in the description of the part.
Any code by me in this post is released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

In the production screen list of producible items, you should be able to set the filters to show stuff that isn't producible at the selected location. If you mouse over an item, it should show all the conditions that need to be met for the item to be producible, and which are and aren't met.

codekiddy
Space Floater

#4 Post by codekiddy »

Mitten.O wrote:You can only build ships with the robotic interface shields on colonies with a robotic species. That should be mentioned in the description of the part.
thank you for explaining this, the description says this only applies to robotic hulls crewed with robotic species, no mention of building at robotic colonies.

what about "Force-energy structures" tech? and btw I found another problem with sensor ship parts:
the "optical scanner", "active radar" and "neutron scanner" ship parts all say (in their descriptions) that they provide 0 detection strength. replacing one part with stronger one gives better radar on the map however. but description is confusing.
can't tell for other scanners, didn't yes discover these tech's.
Geoff the Medio wrote:In the production screen list of producible items, you should be able to set the filters to show stuff that isn't producible at the selected location. If you mouse over an item, it should show all the conditions that need to be met for the item to be producible, and which are and aren't met.
thank you for mentioning this, very helpful.

btw, I'm using playing 0.4.4 SVN 7641

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

codekiddy wrote:what about "Force-energy structures" tech?
Check again, you should be actually getting the turn-to-turn change promised by the tech, even if the meter tooltip doesn't know it. The tooltip showing current, target and next turn values will just show an increase of one point for the next turn because that's the default meter adjustment built into the main engine and it doesn't check for any special effects that might alter that basic expectation. It might be a little more clear to label it "expected next turn" or perhaps "baseline next turn" to imply that there are things that might change that expected value. Better yet would be to have the meter projection actually take into account effects that could affect the rate of change of the meter, but I think there are a few cumbersome things about that which will put it off for a long time.
and btw I found another problem with sensor ship parts:
the "optical scanner", "active radar" and "neutron scanner" ship parts all say (in their descriptions) that they provide 0 detection strength. replacing one part with stronger one gives better radar on the map however. but description is confusing.
Yeah, the parts were changed in a way such that the pedia description no longer automatically pulls its strength and instead just shows a zero; it will be that way for all detection parts and probably for all stealth ship parts as well. I think the expectation is that one of us will eventually get around to making it work right again, but time constraints, priorities, etc... We could just hardcode the correct values into the pedia descriptions for now, or perhaps instead add a warning that the zero readout is a known issue so that it keeps poking us with a reminder to fix it better.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

codekiddy
Space Floater

#6 Post by codekiddy »

Dilvish wrote:Check again, you should be actually getting the turn-to-turn change promised by the tech, even if the meter tooltip doesn't know it.
ok I checked and, it does increase by 3, the "+1" confused me, sorry.
Yeah, the parts were changed in a way such that the pedia description no longer automatically pulls its strength and instead just shows a zero; it will be that way for all detection parts and probably for all stealth ship parts as well. I think the expectation is that one of us will eventually get around to making it work right again, but time constraints, priorities, etc... We could just hardcode the correct values into the pedia descriptions for now, or perhaps instead add a warning that the zero readout is a known issue so that it keeps poking us with a reminder to fix it better.
yeah I understand this all takes time and effort, please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing anything, I thought it could be of help to let you know the perspective of a fresh player :), thank you for providing help, the game rocks and I wish you good luck and success in making this game even better!

If I got confused again I'll share my doubts, if you don't mind of course? :)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

codekiddy wrote:If I got confused again I'll share my doubts, if you don't mind of course? :)
Feedback is important and always welcome :)