testing AI difficulties

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
codekiddy
Space Floater

testing AI difficulties

#1 Post by codekiddy »

Hi, today I installed 0.4.4 7768 version and decided to play on 'maniacal' AI aggression to see how it goes.

'typical' and 'aggressive' conclusion:
I noticed that the AI is good enough on 'typical' and 'aggressive' difficulties but, research output of the AI on these difficulties is extremely bad, beside research output on typical and aggressive the AI is attacking with relatively small fleets and thus loosing his ships.
I also noticed the AI attacking 10x stronger monsters and thus losing fighting force in single turn or two.

'maniacal' difficulty:
perfect, can't say I ever seen so good AI.
I play Civilization V, endless space and many other 4x games but none of the AI's is as good as this one.
only bad is that in late game the AI should maybe receive some additional (or progressive) bonuses since in late game is not so hard as in beginning.

I also noticed the AI building 'gas generator' on systems with single gas giants, it doesn't make sense since there is no benefit of that :/

from all other aspects the maniacal AI rocks!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: testing AI difficulties

#2 Post by Dilvish »

codekiddy wrote:I also noticed the AI building 'gas generator' on systems with single gas giants, it doesn't make sense since there is no benefit of that :/
Right, it shouldn't be doing that. Have you actually had any ship enter a system that looked like that? Some of the species have a stealth bonus that could prevent you from being aware of their planet at all unless you have high enough detection or actually enter the system.

If you double check & think that the AI is indeed building useless generators, please post a savegame in xml format so I could load it in Linux (you probably have to zip it to be able to attach it). If you're currently running in Binary serialization (the default because it's a bit faster/more-efficient, although not cross-platform-compatible), then what you can do is: save the game, then go into Options->Other and unselect Binary Serialization, then quit FO. Then restart FO (in xml mode now), load your previously saved game, and resave it (might want to add 'xml' into the savefile name), and then zip that file and post it here. You'd probably want to then put things back to Binary Serialization and restart FO again.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

codekiddy
Space Floater

#3 Post by codekiddy »

Dilvish wrote:
codekiddy wrote:I also noticed the AI building 'gas generator' on systems with single gas giants, it doesn't make sense since there is no benefit of that :/
Right, it shouldn't be doing that. Have you actually had any ship enter a system that looked like that?
Some of the species have a stealth bonus that could prevent you from being aware of their planet at all unless you have high enough detection or actually enter the system.
are you saying that there could be planets in the system where one is visible and other is not *at all*? no lol I didn't know that, thanks for enlightening :) maybe It's time to read pedia about species details...

codekiddy
Space Floater

#4 Post by codekiddy »

Dilvish wrote: If you double check & think that the AI is indeed building useless generators, please post a savegame in xml format so I could load it in Linux (you probably have to zip it to be able to attach it). If you're currently running in Binary serialization (the default because it's a bit faster/more-efficient, although not cross-platform-compatible), then what you can do is: save the game, then go into Options->Other and unselect Binary Serialization, then quit FO. Then restart FO (in xml mode now), load your previously saved game, and resave it (might want to add 'xml' into the savefile name), and then zip that file and post it here. You'd probably want to then put things back to Binary Serialization and restart FO again.
Hello, I haven't yet again notice the AI building not needed generators but I saw the AI built an outpost base in a system that is fully colonized.
I saved the game as you described.
the name of the save-game file is actually a name of a system containing that outpost base.

there is one problem however, I tried to attach the file here but the file limit of 1 Mib doesn't allow me to attach it (zipped save game is 2.6MB)
so I uploaded the file here:
http://uploading.com/6ff44m16/menkalina ... se-xml-sav
game version is 7768

edit: I have just clicked on my link now and it looks that the uploading com put's an *.exe extension to the file name for some hilarious reason :? or it may just be that my windows explorer adds it, i don't know..