Few flaws in 0.4.4 7768

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
codekiddy
Space Floater

Few flaws in 0.4.4 7768

#1 Post by codekiddy »

Hello guys, I'm on turn 233 and discovered few flaws that seems like wrong, I hope it will help you..

1. a building "solar orbital generator" is supposed to give 0.4, 0.2 and 0.1 industry boost to supply line connected industry focused planets, depending on sun type...
by observing bonuses on various systems it looks like this applied bonuses are not correct.
for example a yellow start system with with 20 population planet is supposed to receive 20 x 0.2 = +4 industry but the bonus was +8

2. multiple technologies are unlocking the same building type... for example in ships tree:
"mono-cellurar expansion" is unlocked by "contrieved symbiosis" and both technologies are unlocking cellurar growth chamber building. it seems strange to unlock something that is already unlocked.

3. in construction tree a technology "organic structures" has a link "transfomer" which displays a pedia entry, links in pedia entries are dead, clicking on them doesn't open anything.

4. pedia entry: graph "planets bombed" doesn't display how much planets the AI or a player bombed, all lines are 0.

5. colonizing a planet that is about to be depopulated by contrencation camps in the same turn will result in failed colonization,
this probably seems logical, I colonized a planet while contrentration camp was still present in current turn, next turn it was gone as well as my population that colonized a planet resulting in depopulated planet.

Please excuse me if I misinterpreted something, and let me know if I'm wrong with above observations.
and yes, 7768 looks more stable to me than release one.

mem359
Dyson Forest

Re: Few flaws in 0.4.4 7768

#2 Post by mem359 »

The programmers can give you a definitive answer.
As another player, here are some of my thoughts:
codekiddy wrote:1. a building "solar orbital generator" is supposed to give 0.4, 0.2 and 0.1 industry boost to supply line connected industry focused planets, depending on sun type...
by observing bonuses on various systems it looks like this applied bonuses are not correct.
for example a yellow start system with with 20 population planet is supposed to receive 20 x 0.2 = +4 industry but the bonus was +8
The bonus is for the system that the solar orbital generator is built in, not the sun type of the planet receiving the bonus. Most likely your empire has a system somewhere with a white or blue star with a solar generator. (You might have conquered an AI planet.)
5. colonizing a planet that is about to be depopulated by contrencation camps in the same turn will result in failed colonization,
this probably seems logical, I colonized a planet while contrentration camp was still present in current turn, next turn it was gone as well as my population that colonized a planet resulting in depopulated planet.
Right, as long as the "concentration camp remnants" icon is showing for that planet, population will decrease by 3. I keep an eye on that planet and wait until the icon is gone before using the colony ship.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

on the things mem359 has not already answered...
codekiddy wrote:2. multiple technologies are unlocking the same building type... for example in ships tree:
"mono-cellurar expansion" is unlocked by "contrieved symbiosis" and both technologies are unlocking cellurar growth chamber building. it seems strange to unlock something that is already unlocked.
There is (slow) ongoing work on ship hulls & related tech progression. Since there is in many of those cases some uncertainty about whether an underlying path will necessarily remain required, some/many of them might still unlock an extra, currently predecessor level, of shipyard; a minor redundancy to improve reliability.
3. in construction tree a technology "organic structures" has a link "transfomer" which displays a pedia entry, links in pedia entries are dead, clicking on them doesn't open anything.
Good catch, that was using the link type for specific buildings rather then general building types; it's fixed now.

Code: Select all

r7769 | dilvish-fo | 2014-11-19 12:09:06 -0800 (Wed, 19 Nov 2014) | 1 line
fixed pedia hotlinks in entry for Transformer building
4. pedia entry: graph "planets bombed" doesn't display how much planets the AI or a player bombed, all lines are 0.
If yopu have reason to believe that such information was incorrect then you should specify such or the comment is not very useful. The AI doesn't currently engage in any bombardments. Had you engaged in any in that game?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

codekiddy
Space Floater

#4 Post by codekiddy »

mem359 wrote:
codekiddy wrote:1. a building "solar orbital generator" is supposed to give 0.4, 0.2 and 0.1 industry boost to supply line connected industry focused planets, depending on sun type...
The bonus is for the system that the solar orbital generator is built in, not the sun type of the planet receiving the bonus. Most likely your empire has a system somewhere with a white or blue star with a solar generator. (You might have conquered an AI planet.)
Oh, thanks, I see now :D
Dilvish wrote:
codekiddy wrote:
If yopu have reason to believe that such information was incorrect then you should specify such or the comment is not very useful. The AI doesn't currently engage in any bombardments. Had you engaged in any in that game?
sorry for that, I thought bombarding a system is the same as bombing, I actually didn't discover nova bomb tech which is probably the one to bomb a system? :?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Not exactly, bombarbment is a new mechanic that we haven't scripted much with currently, only bio spores and death spores use it and the AI isn't set to use them. Bombardment isn't the same as simply using standard ship weapons to take out shields/infrastructure.

At some point it'd be good if a xenophobic AI used the orbital death stuff instead of landing troops and concentration camping everything, but currently it's too unreliable as only organic species can be hit by the effects, it's on My List, but it's fairly low down and I've not been doing much recently.

So that graph will remain empty unless you use death spores or you're playing multiplayer and another player is daft enough to think they're a good idea.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.