Troop ship selection

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Magnate
Space Dragon

Troop ship selection

#1 Post by Magnate »

Trying to invade a system with three planets, all of which have ground troop strength of 7.5

I have three medium troop ships (strength 6) and three small (strength 2). I want to invade with 8.0 troops on each planet.

I am being offered "Invade +12" on all three, and then when I click one it switches to "Invade +8" on the other two and then "Invade +4" on the last one.

So my troop ships are being used in the wrong order. How can I correct this? It happens regardless of fleet permutations, I have tried them all!

Many thanks,

Chris
(Linux version 7640)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Troop ship selection

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you don't like the default used troop ships (or colonization ship, or outpost ship), you can select them in the fleets window before clicking the applicable button.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

to add just a bit more detail to Geoff's suggestion-- the ships you want to select to invade a respective planet need to be together in the same fleet, so it may be easiest to start by combining all the troop fleets into one.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Magnate
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Magnate »

Geoff the Medio wrote:If you don't like the default used troop ships (or colonization ship, or outpost ship), you can select them in the fleets window before clicking the applicable button.
I don't seem to be able to do this. The value of X on the "Invade (X)" button does not change whichever ships I have selected.

The only workaround I know is:

1. Separate the exact troop ships I want to use to invade into one fleet

2. Set every other fleet containing troop ships to leave the system

3. Click the invade button to use the fleet I want

4. Unset the destinations of other troop fleets that I don't actually want to send out of the system after all.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

To force a different number for the invasion, you have to have the actual desired ships selected, not merely their fleet. That's why I said they need to be together in the same fleet. There should be no need to set other fleets to departing-- that simply changes the auto-invade calc, not any manual invasion numbers.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Just tested in the latest SVN. Selecting player-empire-owned troop ships in the same system updates the invasion number on the button as expected.