Fleet Move Broken (Mac)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Drumbeat
Space Krill

Fleet Move Broken (Mac)

#1 Post by Drumbeat »

I'm running on a MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.10.2. I have been unable to set s fleet destination on any build after 7944. I can select the Fleet and then Control-Click on the destination but the destination is not accepted. I can't move a Fleet at all.

Did I miss a control change? Am I doing something wrong?

mem359
Dyson Forest

Re: Fleet Move Broken (Mac)

#2 Post by mem359 »

I'm on a MacBook Pro, and I have been able to continue playing on recent builds (like 8041 from this week).
(Not saying you aren't having problems, just that it isn't universal.)

Are you saying that this happens to you always, and right from the start (turn 1)?
Or that it happens at some point during your games?

I will say that, occasionally I see what you are seeing (fleets unable to be sent to destinations) during some later turn, but it not consistently. Sometimes it is fixed if I deselect the fleet, do some other action (in the build or tech queues), and come back to the fleet afterwards.
It definitely went away if I save, exit, then reload the saved game.

EDIT: Ignore most of that previous comment.

Getting a secondary click, using control-click, does not seem to work anymore, which explains why you can't move your fleets. (It still works in the normal Mac environment and other programs.) I think this happened around the time that the windowed behavior for FreeOrion changed. (I can click outside the main window, and also drag it around, which wasn't true last year.)

I hadn't thought about it, because in my Mac System Preferences (trackpad), I had "secondary click using 2-fingers" enabled. Try turning that on, and I'm guessing you can move fleets using that method.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

Yes, I found some discussion that SDL 2.0 does not have secondary click via ctrl-click on by default, but that two-finger click should work (so long as you have it enabled in your settings). Also, setting an environment variable should apparently reenable ctrl-click.

Vezzra, do you use the two finger click? Is ctrl-click working for you? It sounds to me like we can probably make some adjustment in our code to force the SDL ctrl-click behavior.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Drumbeat
Space Krill

#4 Post by Drumbeat »

Thanks for the tips. I've never used the two-finger click. It solved the problem. I appreciate the help.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:Vezzra, do you use the two finger click?
When I'm not using a mouse, but the touchpad, then yes, I use two finger click.
Is ctrl-click working for you?
No.
It sounds to me like we can probably make some adjustment in our code to force the SDL ctrl-click behavior.
Well, looks like we need to do something like this:

Code: Select all

#ifdef FREEORION_MACOSX
    SDL_SetHint(SDL_HINT_MAC_CTRL_CLICK_EMULATE_RIGHT_CLICK, "1"); 
#endif 
Where would that have to go?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:Well, looks like we need to do something like this:

Code: Select all

#ifdef FREEORION_MACOSX
    SDL_SetHint(SDL_HINT_MAC_CTRL_CLICK_EMULATE_RIGHT_CLICK, "1"); 
#endif 
Where would that have to go?
There are similar ifdefs in both chmain.cpp and HumanClientApp.cpp; I would think that in either of those spots would probably work out.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Drumbeat
Space Krill

#8 Post by Drumbeat »

Thank you!