AI freeze weirdness

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

AI freeze weirdness

#1 Post by MatGB »

Can't find the previous thread when I noticed this. An AI (Egassem) hasn't moved a ship all day, it's building piles of low tech ships and never leaving the homeworld, doesn't even appear to be moving scouts, if it has it's recalled them all the way home.

Extra bonus weirdness, I've observed a small krill swarm move to the home system and leave again, undamaged, it looks like all the ships are set to passive, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen at all.

Attached is the log file, plus the save in Windows format (it's #8041 with updated default with some tiny changes of mine that shouldn't affect anything (extra sitreps only). Dilvish, if you need me to load it up and resave it in XML let me know.
Attachments
FreeOrion_M_August_0164_20150325_152114.zip
(887.76 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: AI freeze weirdness

#2 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:Can't find the previous thread when I noticed this. An AI (Egassem) hasn't moved a ship all day, it's building piles of low tech ships and never leaving the homeworld, doesn't even appear to be moving scouts, if it has it's recalled them all the way home.

Extra bonus weirdness, I've observed a small krill swarm move to the home system and leave again, undamaged, it looks like all the ships are set to passive, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen at all.

Attached is the log file, plus the save in Windows format (it's #8041 with updated default with some tiny changes of mine that shouldn't affect anything (extra sitreps only). Dilvish, if you need me to load it up and resave it in XML let me know.
From that log file I can see that the AI doesn't seem to think its scouts can reach anything it hasn't already explored and make it back to refuel. Sounds like this is probably an example of a situation where the AI got boxed in without good prospects and should now be sacrificing scouts to scout farther out, like we talked about in that other thread on scouting. If mem359 doesn't tackle coding that up then I'll try to get around to it soonish.

As for the aggression issue, also in the log I can see that it is putting a lot of ships into repair mode (going passive, moving to a drydock, which in this case means sitting tight). It didn't seem like all the warships were put into repair mode either, but perhaps I'm misreading that. It's also a bit surprising since it didn't really look like the ships needed repair, but it's hard to be sure just looking at the log. If you could convert that save file over to xml I'll look at it some more. I'd like to double check that the ships are properly going back on aggressive after repair.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Morlic
AI Contributor

Re: AI freeze weirdness

#3 Post by Morlic »

About the repair-issue:

During my testing, I observed multiple times (every time?) that after conquering the entire universe and fights not happening for 50 turns or so, the AI still has many ships on repair-mode.
Didn't pay too much attention to it but I definitely saw the corresponding lines many times in the log while skimming it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0