Scouts don't load up fuel in free space

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Själe
Space Floater

Scouts don't load up fuel in free space

#1 Post by Själe »

FreeOrion-7896-Test-Win32-Setup.exe

Sometimes - I see no dependence - Scouts in free space don't load up there fuel over some rounds.
Also they may loose fuel.

If my Imperium supply lines reach the scout the fuel refresh normally.
In one time the upload of fuel starts as a flying route of another ship crossed the position of the scout.

In an other case the scout in spite of moving don't lose fuel for five or six moves.

In a former test version scout ships don't load up fuel, although the messages said, that they found at this location fuel from an old wrack.
(FreeOrion-7874-Test-RevisedColonization-Win32-Setup.exe)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Scouts don't load up fuel in free space

#2 Post by MatGB »

Odds are that there's a cloud in the system that's taking all the fuel, they're a "monster" type that's got high stealth and slowly moves around taking all the fuel from ships in the same system as them. We really need to get a Sitrep written up that tells the player the scout ship is reporting mysterious power drains or similar. To confirm, build the Super Tester takeover on your homeworld (that gives you complete visibility of the map after it takes effect). If it is the cloud, then it's a simple "someone has to get a sitrep scripted" problem, if it's not the cloud then there's another bug and it might need investigating further.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

A week ago I had also run into a situation where a derelict fuel special did not refill my ship's fuel. I didn't have time to chase it down then, but I did save the previous couple turns of the game so I'd have a chance to follow up on it. I'll try to get around to that this week.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Själe
Space Floater

#4 Post by Själe »

The last case was in empty space.

But in one time before could be the cloud case.
Think I look at this.
thanks.

A message about such a fuel thief would be fine. :)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Follow up, I've been working on a Sitrep for the Dampening Cloud, which is working fine. It has however revealed a minor bug that reminded me of the Cosmic Dragon bug we fixed awhileback, if the cloud isn't in a system then it tries to remove fuel from a random ship anywhere. To fix this, in ship_hull.txt in the Dampening Cloud entry, add the following code

Code: Select all

activation =
                InSystem
above the Effects entry, so it should look like this

[
        [[INFINITE_FUEL]]
        [[MONSTER_MOVE_PRE]]0.05[[MONSTER_MOVE_POST_NOT_OWNED]]
        EffectsGroup
            scope = NumberOf number = 1 condition = And [
                Ship
                InSystem id = Source.SystemID
                OwnedBy affiliation = AnyEmpire
            ]
            activation =
                InSystem
            effects = [
                SetFuel value = Value - 99
This will be put into the main repo as soon as I'm able but I'm still figuring Git out.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

perhaps that should also include a SitRep, "At System X, all fuel has mysteriously vanished from ship Y!"
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

I currently have it as

EFFECT_DAMP_CLOUD
At %system%: the crew of %ship% report they are losing fuel to a %predefinedshipdesign%.
I did consider keeping a bit of mystery to it or similar then I thought that an experienced player would know exactly what was happening and a new player might just get frustrated so having the Pedia link to the cloud would be good.

I had the sitrep ready before we switched from SVN, but thought I'd try to do the Nebula collapse at the same time, that took longer than expected so it'll go up when I think I know what I'm doing.

In the meantime, solving the weird ships that shouldn't be losing fuel refusing to move thing that had bugged me occasionally for months is a Good Thing. Just had a sitrep saying ship X but the display saying ship Y thing, but that's liveable as they're both in system.
Mat Bowles