Feedback from a long time gamer, first time freeorioner

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Scara
Space Kraken

Re: Feedback from a long time gamer, first time freeorioner

#31 Post by Scara »

MatGB wrote:Now that is a good idea, I hadn't really noticed that nests still spawn at the same rate.
Yup, good idea! My last game was with medium Monster and high planet density and it felt like high monster setting, due having more chances of nests. Even the AI had a hard time. I guess I havn't tried high monster and high planet, that's the highest monster density you can get I bet.
Changing the spawn rate with the monster setting much better defines the setup up game.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#32 Post by Vezzra »

cseraphi wrote:Using the 7/7 snapshot I'm finding that when I switch out of the app it works fine, but I cannot switch back in.
Ok, let me ask again: How do you try to switch in/out of fullscreen FO? There are several ways, which work, which fail, and if they fail, how? Another question is, how do you switch into fullscreen mode? Via the fullscreen toggle in the options dialog or via the standard OSX fullscreen button (placed at the top right corner of a window)?
The behavior seems to vary depending on wether or not I'm on my MBP's native (retina) display or an attached monitor.
Which display shows which behavior? Is it on the native (retina) display that you get the trouble, or the external one?
I'm running 10.9.5.
I'm on 10.9.4, but that shouldn't make that much difference. However, I don't have a retina display, maybe that's the problem...

cseraphi
Space Floater

#33 Post by cseraphi »

Apologies for taking so many weeks to reply-- real life got in the way. Here's a properly detailed walkthrough of the bug I am hitting:

I'm using a mid-2012 MBP (GeForce GT 650M/1024M graphics card, running OSX 10.9.5) which has a 2880x1800 retina LCD. Using the "FreeOrion_2015-07-27.4090454_MacOSX_10" snapshot, here's what I get:

Running with an external 1920x1200 Apple LED display as my primary monitor, the app launches in windowed mode (where it behaves fine). I then go fullscreen via checking "Fullsceren" checkbox in the 'Options' button at the main menu. The "Fake resolution change" is already checked on by default.

Once in the game, I can command-tab and it very nicely slides aside and lets me use other apps. Unfortunately, when I attempt to re-enter the app (via alt-tab, or clicking on it in the dock) it begins the visual transition (i.e. the Finder menu hides) but I never get back into the game. I appear to be "in" the app, however, as htting command-Q will quit FO and get me back to the Finder.

Repeating the experiment (it comes up in fullscreen now, since I quit out with that option checked) with the external monitor unplugged, I get the exact same behavior on the Retina display.

Bluehand
Space Floater

#34 Post by Bluehand »

On my MBP, which is not a retina, the fullscreen behavior is different between choosing fullscreen in the Freeotion options versus clicking the maximize button on the Freeorion window. The latter seems to work better for me with command-Tab and similar commands.
Code or patches I post are released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

cseraphi
Space Floater

#35 Post by cseraphi »

Bluehand wrote:On my MBP, which is not a retina, the fullscreen behavior is different between choosing fullscreen in the Freeotion options versus clicking the maximize button on the Freeorion window. The latter seems to work better for me with command-Tab and similar commands.
I'll be gummed. Yep, same here. Letting the window manager do the fullscreening allows command-tab to still work properly, 'fullscreen' in the options dialog does not. I'll have to really squint at it and see if there is a difference in the actual appearance if you do it one way vs the other.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#36 Post by MatGB »

In Windows, selecting the Fullscreen option means the game launches and takes over control of the entire screen, removing any Windows features unless you tab out, no taskbar, no desktop, no titlebar, etc. I've no idea what it's meant to be doing on a Mac but it might be that's a feature that's only really useful on Windows. Have to be honest and say I never used it, but there are some that want a fully immersive experience with no UI controls at all.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

biza
Space Squid

#37 Post by biza »

On 2011 macbook pro (10.10.4.), I can confirm when i use in game full screen option and push mouse arrow on top of screen menu do not appear, but when use maximize icon on window it shows menu. Even more when in ingame full screen and fake resolution is enabled I can change desktops with gesture and return to game with no problem, but when fake resolution is disabled i'm stuck in game and cannot leave except in game exit button.

oh i overcomplicated this:

ingame full screen + fake resolution enabled = can not get menu, can change desktops
ingame full screen + fake resolution disabled = can not get menu, can not change desktops (Im screwed if my wife come in)
System maximize = get menu and change desktops with fake res enabled or disabled

Hope this helps
Cheers!