Feedback on Pedia articles

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Ouaz
Dyson Forest

Feedback on Pedia articles

#1 Post by Ouaz »

1) For all the [Game - Stuff] pedia articles, could it be possible to sort the objects vertically, like all the others pedia artices?
pedia_game_article_sort_vertically.PNG
pedia_game_article_sort_vertically.PNG (9.7 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Some are already OK though, like [Game - Empires].

2) The new "Species' Homeworlds" (which should be [Game - Species' Homeworld] as it is relative to the current game) are a good idea, but it spoils what are the species in the galaxy and how many planets they live on (and which species are not in the galaxy), before you actually discover them...
species_homeworlds_spoiler.PNG
species_homeworlds_spoiler.PNG (24.44 KiB) Viewed 736 times
For exemple, I start this game but I know there are Cynos somewhere, living on 2 planets, but there aren't Derthrean.
Could it be possible to only display the already discovered species/planets (like for the [Game - Monster] article)?

So, for this starting game, only would be displayed:

Gis Guf Gthrim (1): Hamal β 1
Human (1): Hamal α 1

Thanks!
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Feedback on Pedia articles

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ouaz wrote:Could it be possible to only display the already discovered species/planets (like for the [Game - Monster] article)?
That would be hiding info that the player's client does know, which is generally not a good idea. Better would be to adjust the information the server sends to players to only let them know such info about species they have contacted / observed in the game, updated on turns when they are visible / contacted. Probably homeworld info would only be given when a player controls a planet (or ship?) populated by a species.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Ouaz »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Ouaz wrote:Could it be possible to only display the already discovered species/planets (like for the [Game - Monster] article)?
Better would be to adjust the information the server sends to players to only let them know such info about species they have contacted / observed in the game, updated on turns when they are visible / contacted. Probably homeworld info would only be given when a player controls a planet (or ship?) populated by a species.
That's indeed I wanted to mean. Sorry for my clunky english if my opening post didn't mean that. :oops:
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Probably homeworld info would only be given when a player controls a planet (or ship?) populated by a species.
Or when some suitable Intelligence tech has been researched, and/or this could be revealed by the Observatory (which I think I'd like to make a stab at getting to work again, one of these days).

Of course, then I'll have to switch the 'NO_HOMEWORLD' translation from "No Homeworld" back to "No Known Homeworld", but, c'est la vie.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

Ouaz wrote: 2) The new "Species' Homeworlds" (which should be [Game - Species' Homeworld] as it is relative to the current game) are a good idea, but it spoils what are the species in the galaxy and how many planets they live on (and which species are not in the galaxy), before you actually discover them...
It doesn't actually, that info was already there in the Pedia if you could be bothered to look (which I sometimes was but rarely), each species would list their homeworld in their pedia entry or say "no known", this just puts the info in the same place so it's not a hidden feature experienced players have.

I like this as an improvement, especially for testing purposes, I wouldn't mind if it were changed so that only visible information displayed in both this and the individual Pedia entries, but think it should be the same way for both, either the client/player knows the info and can get it easily, or the info isn't known.

Given that the logging also lists the info and whoever is running the server can see that, I'm minded to say it should be available not hidden as it's an advantage to the host in a multiplayer game, amongst other things.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

I found a bit of a bug:
pedia-homeworlds-no-eaxaw.png
pedia-homeworlds-no-eaxaw.png (206.64 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Two Eaxaw homeworlds in this game I've recently captured one of them, not on the Homeworlds page (but is listed properly on the Eaxaw Pedia entry)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish

#7 Post by Dilvish »

On their species page, do they have more than 5 occupied worlds whose name your client knows and that were not also homeworlds? Those entries are constructed in a slightly different fashion (saying simply 'N Occupied Planets' instead of listing all their names), and I had thought it was working fine, but doing a quick check now it appears there is something wrong and it causes those entries to be dropped.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

Dilvish wrote:On their species page, do they have more than 5 occupied worlds whose name your client knows and that were not also homeworlds?
Yes, I control 7, there are 3 others visible controlled by two different AIs, haven't found the second homeworld yet.
Mat Bowles

Dilvish

#9 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:Yes, I control 7, there are 3 others visible controlled by two different AIs, haven't found the second homeworld yet.
Yup, ok, should be fixed now.