Feedback on build FreeOrion_2015-06-30.702dbec_Test_Win32

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ghealy
Space Kraken

Feedback on build FreeOrion_2015-06-30.702dbec_Test_Win32

#1 Post by ghealy »

Had one issue when installing this build. It installs okay, gives the final installation screen stating install completed and shows a check in the box saying run FreeOrion. When i click on the Okay button, it opens the DOS window and freezes. Feezes not only teh game, but the whole computer and requures a hard shut down and restart of the PC.

Techie stuff - My Set-up:
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with SP1 installed. According to Windows Update, updates installed.
Motherboard: Intel DP35Dp running a 2.50 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 CPU, 8 GB RAM
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT. Again with latest updates installed.
Primary HD Fre space:54 GB free space. Pagefile is on second drive having 255GB free space.

The good news is that once Windows is back up and running, double-clicking the desktop shortcut runs the game without issue. Had this happen the last stable release (FreeOrion-20150406.87ba108-Test-Win32) when I re-installed it after removing another beta that had issues. (Wrote several post in 'Support' about that)

Am curious if there is a file somewhere that indicates what new features, tweaks and or bug fixes have been incorporated in each of these new beta test builds?

FWIW. I found this latest test build to be a bit harder/more challenging to play that the last stable release (87ba108). (I use the baby mode - no monsters/no specials/beginner mode/one AI opponent)

Again thanks for writing software that is sucking time from my existence. (Thought I play for a little while before bed last night. Next thing I knew it was three hours later. :D )

- Gene

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Feedback on build FreeOrion_2015-06-30.702dbec_Test_Win3

#2 Post by MatGB »

Can't help on the crash issue, doesn't sound familiar to me but if it's running then it's running. We tried to compile a weekly changes list, it didn't go well, but the code repository lists everything we do:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/commits/master

I've tended to keep that bookmarked and check it regularly to see what I should be looking for.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Ouaz »

I don't use the "Run Freeorion" checkbox after the installation, so I can't say if there is a problem (I uncheck it, and use the FO desktop icon instead).

But on the other side, since 2 or 3 builds, during the installation, the C++ Redistribuable takes a while to execute (several minutes stuck on "Execute" before all the file extraction). It was instantaneous a few builds ago.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#4 Post by ghealy »

Thanks, MatGB. Been a while since I played at reading pseudo code :D but it is interesting watching the inner workings.

Ouaz: Think I'll follow your lead and uncheck the Run FO box and just use the desktop shortcuts on future test builds. Thanks.