Lag

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
AndrewW
Juggernaut

Lag

#1 Post by AndrewW »

Just to add some date as this has been discussed previously, started FreeOrion [.03317A5] turn 280, doing nothing but clicking on Turn button, took 38 seconds before the turn button was no longer grayed out, though Save Game was still greyed out for awhile after this.

110 Systems, 4 AI's. Mostly defaults 1920x1180 window.

4.2ghz, quad core. 16gb memory, Nvidia GT 640.

wheals
Space Squid

Re: Lag

#2 Post by wheals »

Strangely, I have better performance, though I'd have thought it would be worse:

Using commit 78891039fd (with a few minor changes of my own, I removed a lot of the old code for empires losing/winning that never got called, and added sitreps for empires losing and winning), turn 348, on a 250 3-arm galaxy with no monsters, 10 AIs (though I've defeated all but 3 already), and a 1366x768 window, it took 20 seconds for the first turn after I loaded the savegame to go by.

Computer has a i7-5500U 2.40GHz dual-core, 8 GB of RAM, Intel integrated graphics card.

Did you have the system sidepanel open? In the other thread someone said that slows turns down by a fair bit.

edit: It may have just been a fluke. I tried again and it took 37 seconds, and then 49 seconds.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

wheals wrote:Did you have the system sidepanel open? In the other thread someone said that slows turns down by a fair bit.

edit: It may have just been a fluke. I tried again and it took 37 seconds, and then 49 seconds.
Straight from loading the save game, neither the system side panel nor the fleet window where open at the time. Later as I started destroying hordes of AI fleets it did speed up, though then started to slow down again, though didn't get back to as long as it was taking.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Total number of ships in game does seem to have a disproportionate effect on things that it seemingly shouldn't make a difference to.

I'm testing through some work done by Sloth to introduce more cool effects regarding monsters, so have many many monster nests and a huge number of monsters at various stages of maturity, in addition to my normal warfleets, I'm in the process of trying to invade an AI using nothing but monsters to see how it goes (obviously I'll need troop ships if I want to take the depopulated planets).

Despite it being the same size as my normal maps, with slightly fewer AIs, lag is substantially higher than normal for this stage in the game. It is beyond me to speculate why or how, but even selecting a planet to open the production window can take a noticeably long amount of time, which shouldn't really be affected by how many ships I've got.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There is a lot of logging about effect evaluation or execution time you could be looking at, even more so with verbose logging enabled.

knelson
Space Krill

#6 Post by knelson »

I have found the Lag time is directly related to the number of ships owned by each Empire. As the number of ships increase the Lag increases as well.

The best way to control this is thru the Max AI Aggression setting on the Setup screen.

When set to typical or lower the AI will just build ships and never attack. With larger systems it may take time for you to encounter the enemy and by that time they could have built massive fleets. Which slows down the game.

To avoid this set the Max AI Aggression setting to Aggressive or Maniacal. I believe its the processing for the AI ships that generates the lag.

If you are already in a game you will have to attack the enemies stockpile of ships to reduce the number of fleet ships. You will notice as the ships are depleted the game speeds up.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

Other programs can affect lag, in my experience. Using iTunes to play music really slowed down FO, where web streaming music didn't seem to.