No offensive troops? Shouldn't be able to build troop ships?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
UrshMost
Space Kraken

No offensive troops? Shouldn't be able to build troop ships?

#1 Post by UrshMost »

I think species without offensive troops shouldn't be able to build troop ships.

It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't use my Derthrean Troop Drop ships; they didn't have any troops in them!

Buld Sept 08.
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: No offensive troops? Shouldn't be able to build troop sh

#2 Post by MatGB »

Brand new feature, I'm currently playing through several games before going through and reassigning the 'troops' traits, but I strongly suspect that the current species with none stay that way as it makes sense, I might give the weird floating gasbags a different advantage instead.

However, I agree it makes no sense to build capacity zero troop ships, not actually sure how easy it is to script that restriction I'll have a look later unless someone jumps in.

I'm loving the idea of the feature and the mechanics, just not agreeing with the balance on some choices. Plus, I'm in the process of rebalancing species in other ways so, for example, the Egassem are going to lose 'Ultimate' because they won't need all those boosts anymore.

Fun though, and good catch, I just decided not to build troops with those species didn't occur to me that others wouldn't notice (and we need it clearer in the game somehow, and the capacity thing isn't updating right, etc).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

UrshMost
Space Kraken

#3 Post by UrshMost »

Something else to update:

The Pedia entry for the various Troop ships still shows a number of troops for various species that does not reflect the new per species mechanism.

I.e. For Derthrean Troop Drop ships it still shows that they will be holding 2 troops.

Updating that would also help with making it clearer in the game what is happening.

Maybe add big fat green up arrows and red down arrows next to values that are above or below norms due to species differentiations?
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

Sloth
Content Scripter

#4 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:However, I agree it makes no sense to build capacity zero troop ships, not actually sure how easy it is to script that restriction I'll have a look later unless someone jumps in.
I will try to take care of this.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

UrshMost wrote: The Pedia entry for the various Troop ships still shows a number of troops for various species that does not reflect the new per species mechanism.
Yeah, that's what I was meaning when I wibbled about capacities above, should've been clearer, thanks
Maybe add big fat green up arrows and red down arrows next to values that are above or below norms due to species differentiations?
That's actually note a bad idea, at the very least colour the values that's above or below normal.

I, um, have zero clue if it's even possible in the code base, anyone?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:I, um, have zero clue if it's even possible in the code base, anyone?
Try using UTF-8 characters for up and down arrows, and add text colour tags to make them red / green ( ). Possibly not ideal, as there are in UI options for stat increasing / decreasing colour, but this is arguably a distinct situation that that option might not need to apply to. Could also use double-arrows for stronger traits... (⇈ ⇊). There are alternative arrows styles, as well... (⇧ ⇩ ⇑ ⇓) and triangles that might work (▲△▼▽). Most / all of those appear to be supported by the default font.