[0.4.5] Gateway to the Void self-aggressive

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: [0.4.5] Gateway to the Void self-aggressive

#16 Post by defaultuser »

MatGB wrote:
defaultuser wrote: Hey, here's a question. If you use a nova bomb on the Experimenter world, do you get the "win"?
No.

Because when I scripted it I wasn't good enough to get it to work and haven't gone back to it since I learnt more (I did, actually, try). We now have better 'victory' handling so it might be doable but might require a few fudges to get it to work.
That's all right. I'm playing one of the test versions from a little while back and it has the Experiment Zero and many more ground troops for the Experimenters, so the bomb idea came to mind. Not that I couldn't do it anyway. For me, the only real win is to sweep your enemies from the board.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#17 Post by Kassiopeija »

Vezzra wrote:AFAIK the scripting of that building is very old and hasn't been corrected to take into account changed game mechanics ever since. Originally outposts were actually colonies with an extremely low population (0.1 or something like that). So, to reduce a colony to outpost status yo had to set pop to 0.1. That meant outposts, like colonies, had a species.

However, some time ago (actually that has been quite long ago already), that was changed.
I wonder if that is also the reason of why a species that has "Cannot colonize planets" as attribute is unable to build outpost-ships. Because, in a way I feel they should be able to, as there's no crew or population involved here....

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

#18 Post by coCoKNIght »

as there's no crew or population involved here....
Well, outposts have ground troops, they need to come from somewhere. Also I don't see why outpost ships should not require a crew, but then again, that should be no problem since in your case the species surely has 'Can build ships'.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#19 Post by Kassiopeija »

Now that I think over it, back in 0.4.4 I came over some scripts from buildings that had a requirement of "having non-trivial population", which ment, at least, 1.0 population. Perhaps this was done to not enable said building on outposts but only on colonies.
I remember one game a few weeks ago playing with Egassem, where I couldn't build a building on a planet because the colonies' population was 0.75 (I was desperately trying to get colonies and had to enable homeworld supply, which did cause that number...)

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#20 Post by defaultuser »

Reviving this one to add that I finally had a use for a Gateway. I was playing cluster configuration, pretty far from the Experimentors and a rather slow game, so by the time I got there the spawning was taking place and I still had one fairly strong AI to deal with. The Experimentors were off in a small cluster with one connection to the rest of the map, so I stuck a Gateway there to bottle the monsters up until I felt like dealing with it.