0.4.5 mac crash + game hosed

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
cseraphi
Space Floater

Re: 0.4.5 mac crash + game hosed

#16 Post by cseraphi »

Starting to think that maybe deliberately crashing the app wasn't a great idea.

After downloading the latest version I tried to reproduce the problem, but-- I can't even get any version of Free Orion to start now (get the generic "LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810" error, which I think just means it exited nonzero). Tried deleting the config.xml, no joy. Moved the whole stinking ~/App Support/FreeOrion folder aside, no joy. Can't start it under dtruss, and there is no 'strace' on a Mac, so I have no idea what the fsck the app is wanting. I've tried rebooting, there is nothing in the syslogs, etc. I don't see any ~/.freeorionrc or the like, either. No idea where the bad state is being kept. Frustrating!

The game doesn't do anything when doubleclicked or launched via 'open'. It just immediately exits; doesn't even re-create the ~/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion folder.

Any advice is appreciated.

UPDATE: Well, nevermind. I'll leave the above up there in case it impacts someone else, but apparently the game gets pissed unless it is called "FreeOrion.app". Renaming it "FreeOrion-snapshot.app" or whatever causes the behavior I saw. Grr.

cseraphi
Space Floater

#17 Post by cseraphi »

cseraphi wrote:
Can you be more specific / precise? How many total fleets in the system, in the the open fleets window, was "half a dozen" ships all of them or just some in the selected fleet, if not all, what place in the list were they (other ships above, below, both, between), in what order did you select them / how did you select them, were there other fleets also in the fleet window, where was the open fleet in the list of fleets, did moving those ships empty their source fleet, etc.
Can do. It definitely seems related to the amount of ships in the stack being dragged, so I can probably work out a reproducer.

I'll download the latest snapshot and get back to you.

Update: The Nov 2nd snap is downloading now. I'm able to reproduce it consistently ( > 50% of attempts) in the 0.45 release by dragging 7 ships at once into a 'New Fleet' box. The number of ships in the source fleet do not seem to matter; it happens whether the ships I am dragging comprise the whole original fleet or just a subset of it. I'll repeat these tests with the snapshot once I get it downloaded.

OK, was able to test. The new version wouldn't open my saved game file, so I quick started a game and built a few empty colony-base hulls to test with. (By the way-- I'm very excited about the new production queue interface! Very cool.) Anyway, still got the crash. Apple stacktrace & report is attached.
Attachments
FreeOrion-2015-11-02-snapshot.crash.txt.gz
Crashed of the Nov 2 snapshot. File was created on 2015-11-06
(16.3 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

cseraphi
Space Floater

#18 Post by cseraphi »

Another note: Just had the crash happen when I was only dragging ships into an *existing* fleet, so we can probably rule out code associated with creating a new fleet. Also, interestingly, it happened when only 2 ships were being dragged-- never had it happen with such a small number before. I think the probability of the crash is proportional to the size of the stack being dragged, rather than being at a 'cutoff'.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Please check if this commit helps at all with the drag-drop crashes...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bump... Additional testing requesting re: fleet drag-drop crashes. If it happens again, please attach a new / updated stack trace.