Gateway to the Void

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Gateway to the Void

#1 Post by defaultuser »

I'm still playing v0.4.5_2015-09-01.f203162, so apologies if this is no longer current, but I had some questions about the way in which Gateways work. I established one on a planet that was in the same system as one with ship-building facilities. The Pedia description is:
Any ships who enter this system without passing through on the same turn are destroyed, and all colonies within are reduced to Outpost status, with a max population of one tenth. Furthermore, it is impossible for anyone outside a system containing this building to see into it.

A dimensional tear capable of magnifying the destructive potential of the Void Mind in a localized region.
The first part is fine, ships are indeed destroyed if they enter, but you can fly past.

For the second, while the population is reduced eventually to 0.1, the planets do not become outposts. They are just populated planets with very tiny populations. So that means you can't build a colony there, although that might make sense as how would you move people and materials there?

However, you can build other things like Outpost Bases or Troop Drops that aren't available to outposts. Further, the planet with the ship facilities is still able to build ships and even upgrade those facilities. If you do build a ship, it isn't destroyed if you move it out of the system the turn it is constructed.

Is that the intended behavior?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Gateway to the Void

#2 Post by MatGB »

No, to my knowledge it's not been fixed either, back in the past there weren't "true" outposts, just very low population colonies, and the Gateway comes from that time. I personally never use it and thus haven't got around to fixing it, it needs fixing and/or reworking at some point soon though.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Gateway to the Void

#3 Post by defaultuser »

I'm not sure how programmed the AI are with respect to Gateways. In this particular game, one AI must have really landed in a rich area because even though I had a good one, and had rolled up one and most of another of the AIs, he still had more worlds, higher output of production and research than me. Part of that was that I usually don't bother too much with some of the later techs to boost production because I don't generally need it, but he was using them. And a fair amount of concentration camps. He wasn't terribly aggressive though.

Anyway, this was a case where his territory and my "right flank" connected by a single system, and the Experimentor world was right in that area, so I stuck a Gateway at that system and concentrated on the third AI (I usually play four). After he lost some ships attempting to go into my area there, he stopped trying, which worked well for me. Once the Gateway was complete, I moved my guard fleet off the world (obviously) and he stopped the arms race of building a big fleet to counter that the AIs often do. Then when I'd see an inferior force nearby I'd swoop out and annihilate it, then retreat back behind the barrier. That was kind of interesting.