Test Version 2015-10-12.f596343: No Experimentors

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Test Version 2015-10-12.f596343: No Experimentors

#1 Post by defaultuser »

I just finished a game with this version, basically the standard with Disk configuration, four AIs on Aggressive. I saw the "sole-survivor victory" message, that was nice. However, I didn't see the Experimentor outpost. Not just that they haven't shown up yet, that can take a while, but I can't find the system. I don't think there's any part of the map I can't see. Was there a change to hide it better? I didn't see the Honeycomb/Warden either.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Test Version 2015-10-12.f596343: No Experimentors

#2 Post by MatGB »

Neither is guaranteed in every game, specifically the Experimentors will turn up but only if a suitable system exists which needs to not be within a certain number of jumps of any AI homeworld. In a 150 system map that isn't guaranteed to happen and it will depend on how many starlanes, etc.

Make sure a) you've researched Omni Scanner and/or b) load the savegame and build the Super Tester Takeover in your homeworld, that reveals the map the turn after it's completed.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#3 Post by defaultuser »

That would make sense. I generally am playing 250-system games, I just forgot to change the default when I got the latest build, and I'm used to seeing the Experimentors. And yes, I had the scanners all researched. I had just about everything researched. I even played with starlane bore and nexus techs, for fun. I would assume that you can't use those to create an early entry into the Experimentors. Is that correct?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

You can currently, as we haven't decided what to do to stop it (and it's a lower priority as I get bored waiting for them fairly regularly), although they will destroy the lanes the turn after you make them regardless.

The restrictions on where the Experimentors can start is in space_monster_spawn_fleets.txt

Code: Select all

MonsterFleet
    name = "SM_EXP_OUTPOST"
    ships = [
        "SM_EXP_OUTPOST"
    ]
    spawnrate = 1000.0
    spawnlimit = 1
    location = And [
        Contains And [
            Planet
            Unowned
            Not Species
            Not Planet type = [Asteroids GasGiant]
        ]
        Not Contains Or [
            HasSpecial name = "ANCIENT_RUINS_SPECIAL"
            HasSpecial name = "PANOPTICON_SPECIAL"
            HasSpecial name = "GAIA_SPECIAL"
        ]
        Not WithinStarlaneJumps jumps = 6 condition = And [
            Planet
            OwnedBy affiliation = AnyEmpire
        ]
    ]
Spawnrate means there will be one (higher is more likely), but only if a place can be found. Spawn Limit is only 1 (I've changed that sometimes, it's, um, fun...). Then it must be a system containing an unowned, uninhabited planet that isn't asteroids or gas giant. Then it has to not contain a chunk of specials (we probably ought to add honeycomb to that list), then not be within 6 jumps of any empire (which, given it's turn 1, means homeworlds).

Changing the starlane jumps number is the easiest way to make them turn up more reliable. We hope, at some point, to make them actually a part of galaxy generation (so they get their locations before empires if you want them there), but that's a lower priority for now, getting the galaxy generation scripts updated and fully converted to Python then tested is a higher priority.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

I've run into the games where you take care of the AIs quickly, then get a late Experimentors arrival. Then you're just sitting with big fleets on the surrounding worlds, hitting turn advance repeatedly. Maybe next time I'll try some "boring".