AI seeing my stealth ships

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Crius
Space Floater

AI seeing my stealth ships

#1 Post by Crius »

I have some stealth ships with 115 stealth and the AI has an empire detection strength of 50, yet when I attack AI fleets they retreat.

I end up playing a cat-and-mouse game with the AI which is very annoying. I can understand this behaviour if my ships were not stealthy enough.

Intended?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: AI seeing my stealth ships

#2 Post by MatGB »

when I attack AI fleets they retreat.
Be more specific?

The AI is programmed to withdraw fleets taking damage from invisible enemies, and also your fleet reveals itself in round 1 of each combat as it fires meaning that opponents would know what was there.

I use stealth a lot vs the AI (I'm working on a long term project to improve it) and haven't encountered it knowing I'm there before I attack.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Crius
Space Floater

#3 Post by Crius »

Let's say there are systems A, B, C, D. I'm in D with my stealth ships and the enemy is in C. I would attack C and the enemy fleet would move to B. I attack the enemy in B and they would either move to A or to C.

The behaviour doesn't occur all the time but often enough to make me wonder if the AI does not somehow know it is about to be attacked by a larger force, stealthed or not. I'm also suspecting this as sometimes the AI sits in a system doing nothing for a long time and it only moves the exact turn I attack.

I'll try make a save game just as I see this behaviour, is there anything else I can give to help?

The Silent One
Graphics

#4 Post by The Silent One »

From what I know about the code this should not possible. The AI is treated by the server like a human player, meaning it only receives information it has access to, which means it shouldn't know about stealthed fleets; so they can only evade an attack if they have spotted it in time.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Crius
Space Floater

#5 Post by Crius »

I'll attempt to make a video of it in my next game - my current one is a but slow at 1000 stars 20 AI. :mrgreen:

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

One side observation, the AI is capable of spotting blocked supply lines, if something it can't see is blocking supply in a system then it'll tend to be worried by default—try having your stealthed fleet set to passiv euntil the turn you want them to fight.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#7 Post by Kassiopeija »

it might be a simple coincidence