Free Orion on Tablet/touchscreen UI

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Toastmartin
Space Floater

Free Orion on Tablet/touchscreen UI

#1 Post by Toastmartin »

Hi,

I just got a Lenovo Yoga ( http://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Convertible ... 00ZI4626O/ ) for christmas and played FreeOrion in the tablet mode. The UI feels very good with just touching. Right-clicks via holding work very well. The only problem is that clicking on drop-downs doesn't seem to work. Example: I right-click on a planet. The small window with "planet suitability" opens. I try to click on it, but the window just closes. On the usual Windows-desktop this works without problems (right-click on the background and then select something from the drop-down-menu). The same problem occurs with the drop-down-menu that lets you merge/split fleets.
Can you image a reason for this behaviour? It runs on Windows 8 and I didn't change any interface setting. Does anybody know where touchscreen-settings can be changed?

by the way: I played my first game, where an AI acually beat me. I played chato with a medicore/bad start and the super-strong-AI was gysache. It seems like he conquered a Hhhoo (Great Ground troops and good pilots) planet very early in the game, completely negating their weak sides. I have met such a combination some games ago and was able to beat it closely. But due to my slow start this game i couldn't this time. Good to know, that this can happen. Also this could be a way to cheat and make AI's stronger: Put a native planet in their proximity that limits their weaknesses. Looks like it was random, but the universe creation could do it on purpose for very high difficulty.

happy holidays!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Free Orion on Tablet/touchscreen UI

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Toastmartin wrote:The only problem is that clicking on drop-downs doesn't seem to work. Example: I right-click on a planet. The small window with "planet suitability" opens. I try to click on it, but the window just closes. [...] The same problem occurs with the drop-down-menu that lets you merge/split fleets.
Can you image a reason for this behaviour?
Popup menus should respond to both right and left click events, so I don't know what the issue would be...

Is there any way you can compile from source and run with a debugger attached to check what events it's receiving when you tap after opening a popup menu?

How does ordering fleet movement work?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

I think what's happening is that the menu comes up as normal, but disappears/can't be clicked on when the finger is moved towards it, I'm guessing that the removal of finger reads as if the pointer has gone somewhere else completely so the menu thinks it isn't needed anymore.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Toastmartin
Space Floater

#4 Post by Toastmartin »

run from .. what? what is a debugger? I think the anwser is no ..

Right klicking is by defalut holding the finger in the touchscreen. So I select a fleet by clicking on the fleet (short, - left click) and then holding on the destination system (long, right click).
The hold- long, right click works to bring up the dropdown-menu, the selection also stays on the screen when i lift my finger. Then, when trying to click it, it disappears. Appearently, before it is acually clicked. MatGB's explanation sounds reasonable, what could I do about it?

One more thing that seems strange to me: In Fullscreen-mode of free orion a part of the screen seems to be missing: the right and the bottom edge of the game window do not appear to be on the edge of the screen. I have set the game to 1960x1024, the display is fullHD, that should be right. But the game window seems to be much bigger, so that a big part of it is not visible. That is only the case on my laptop (1960x1024), but not on my desktop pc (1280x1024), so the error seems to be tied to the resolution.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Full HD should be 1920x1080... but that shouldn't create the problem you describe. And when switching to fullscreen, you shouldn't need to specify any resolution, the optimal should be selected automatically. How did you set the resolution?

Toastmartin
Space Floater

#6 Post by Toastmartin »

There was no need to select the resolution when switching to fullscreen. I was just checking it to find the problem. And i noticed that this problem does not exist on my desktop-PC (1280x1024) I attached a picture of the problem: in the game screen the menu button for example is not accessible. Any idea what could cause this?

Also, any idea on the touchsceen rightclick-dropdown-thing?
Attachments
fullscreeng.png
fullscreeng.png (250.74 KiB) Viewed 1630 times

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Toastmartin wrote:Any idea what could cause this?
It's been set to a larger window size than the actual screen. Try manually changing the fullscreen resolution in the video settings.
Toastmartin wrote:Also, any idea on the touchsceen rightclick-dropdown-thing?
Not without logging info about what user event inputs it's receiving.

Toastmartin
Space Floater

#8 Post by Toastmartin »

??!?!?! I' surpspised! It works, the fullscreen-mode works with 1600x900. Why that?? I have a full HD display .. Thats very unexpected!
Thanks for the help, problem solved, but I don't understand why .. ?!?

As for those logs about user event inputs, how can I get/produce those??

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

Toastmartin wrote:Thanks for the help, problem solved, but I don't understand why .. ?!?
Welcome to the world of computers... I've long given up trying to understand why some things work and others don't. There's a reason why "never touch a running system" became such a sound advice when dealing with computers... ;)
See here for info about the location of the main config and the log files on your system. The log file needed in this case would be "freeorion.log".

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:
See here for info about the location of the main config and the log files on your system. The log file needed in this case would be "freeorion.log".
That won't be of any use for this without some code modifications to output the internal system / UI events that are happening when attempting to do the right click popup menu interaction...

Toastmartin
Space Floater

#11 Post by Toastmartin »

I will get into this rightclick-logs when I find the time.
Regarding the fullsceen-thing: The game looks good in this 1600x900-mode on my full HD Display, but the ship-design window in the Fleet-UI is to big. I cannot enter a name, because the other windows are on top of it. Can I resize it somehow?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Toastmartin wrote:...the ship-design window in the Fleet-UI is to big. I cannot enter a name, because the other windows are on top of it. Can I resize it somehow?
Um, "ship-design window in the Fleet-UI"... I'm a bit confused what you mean here, I guess the ship design screen? All windows there are resizeable, the resize widget is in the lower right corner of each window.

If you're referring to something else, please post a screenshot.