Config? - Display Problems with Objects/Filters

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Scara
Space Kraken

Config? - Display Problems with Objects/Filters

#1 Post by Scara »

Hi,
I'm testing build 2023-04-18.66a5bd7.
I experienced display problems with the Objects/Filters window, after doing following things:
- starting a game
- moving all windows for my desire for playing with 3840x2160 fullscreen
- writing complete (and persistent) config file
- play a while
- save and load again some time
- then it seems that not every window pos got saved properly or shrinked heavily (like planets view and wiki), but that's not not the problem
- the anoying is that I just don't get the Filters/Objects windows resized again... the righter lower edge won't resize on click; it closes it

Stangely when I quit the game and start it again loading the save game, diffent windows get resized! I had to proceed upper procedure three times untill the shrinked Objects/Filters Window appeared again, after deleting the configs.
It is not the first time I encountered this, so I thought I report it, as it is drawback in playing experience not having filters.
Is persistent experimental? Ok I just recreated the discribed effect using only the normal config, so it's not the persistent...
It took again three attempts. After reloading, I need to resize again, and write to config, play, save. Next time less stuff to resize, save config, play, save and reload again. Then it seems every thing fine no resizing to do, untill I look at the Objects panel und click on filters, the nonresizable panel got shrunken again. I reproduced the effect now three times in a row. I just want to save all my favorite panel positions in game. Hope I could help trace this bug.
screeni20230420223549.png
screeni20230420223549.png (115.49 KiB) Viewed 820 times
screeni20230420.png
screeni20230420.png (639.08 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Config? - Display Problems with Objects/Filters

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Hi Scara.

I think the problem comes from FreeOrion rejecting upon start that certain windows overlap or get out of the main window, and defaulting them to stupid values like fully shrunk (but not changing the offending values in the saved config, so upon next start problem triggers again; or saving the the fully shrunk values).
So you can arrange the windows during game with no problem, but some values will be considered illegal in next boot of the game.

Issue#2997 is probably related, but it was supposed to be fixed already. The workaround was to edit the file to enlarge the values and reload FO.
PR#3007 fixed that some windows had not set minimum dimensions (allowing to resize to faulty sizes and making "reset to default" quite buggy).

I can't find now any other related issue, but I thought I had open one about the offending overlapping windows upon game start forces resetting of all windows (regardless of resetting to faulty values).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by LienRag »

There's also the problem that the "filters" windows in Objects do not have (or did not at least) have a resize handle.

Scara
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Scara »

Ah ok, it's a thing of legit positioning... well, the editing of the config is not intuitive.
It's a bit strange behavior, because on a later savegame load, the Objects/Filters was resized correct again.