SUGGEST: Automated micro organizing lists

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Homeland
Space Krill

SUGGEST: Automated micro organizing lists

#1 Post by Homeland »

version: FreeOrion_v0.4.5_2015-09-01.f203162_Test_Win32.exe (I edit this later, if not correctly told)

I personally like to play with huge maxed galaxy with maniacal enemies. It gets tiresome to conquer planets and click and produce the same things again, again, etc..., when you only want to magana bigger picture(macro), not micro.

I'm suggesting to implement an automated micro organizing list in to a production.
You predefine what things to produce on every planet. (a list)
Alternatively you could order that only new planets (that wasn't present when the list came in to effect) follows the list.

When some planet hasn't yet produced your predefined thing, it will automatically add it to production queue.
Basic order probably would be the order you got your planets. If you lost a planet, it will skip it.
Additionally:
You could define to build all predefined things to current planet and then move to the next planet in basic order
Or build x on every planet then move to build y on every planet
Or mix of these two choices
(Example: first = "basic shipyard"; second = "3 ships, orbital drydock "; third = "space elevator" etc
This would first produce basic shipyard to every planet then come back and produce 3 ships and orbital drydock to every planet then come back and produce space elevator to every planet)

If you want to produce something right now aka something that differ from the predefined-list, it is handled as priority and goes before predefined productions. So you don't have to move anything in production queue to get it done now. Basicly it would handle predefined queue separately from directly ordered production, but would still be visible in the same production queue. Maybe with other color, so you recognize that it's from the predefined list and you can't change that order directly from production queue. To change it, you need to edit the predefined list.

Of course you can only choose from an available things in that pre-list.

If it's not something that can be built once, you could specify that produce this three times (per place).
Of course this probably would accumulate to huge memory or/and savefile to remember where was, what and how many produced. So probably it's wise to currently restrict it to things that can't be produced more than x times (buildings).

What benefit would this micro organizing do? Well then I could focus on battle strategy and planet conquering without thinking too much production per every planet.

Also this micro organizing could be implemented to something else too. Perhaps planet focusing things. It would add a little tweak to your strategies, without being headache.

Plus, this feature would make cool name: AMOL

Also, I tried to search if this has been discussed before in this forum and I didn't find anything relative, If I'm wrong, don't just shout to me and ban me from my newbie mistake. Well, that's it; Hi, I'm new here. :D

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

Re: SUGGEST: Automated micro organizing lists

#2 Post by Cpeosphoros »

If you are building something other than Terraform/Gaia in each and every planet you get, you are probably wasting resources.

I don't know any good strategy in FO which would require you to do the kind of mass-building your suggestion comes from.
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

What Cpeosphoros said, there are intentional drawbacks to haveing a shipyard and drydock everywhere, you should not want to do this, and at the moment there's zero need for Space Elevators everywhere.

And I certainly can't imagine wanting to build three basic ships at every conquered world before they've even got a shipyard upgrade.

The stated objective of the game design is that there should be little to no micromanagement of this nature in the first place. IF you think there is, it's probably because the documentation isn't clear enough or you're doing something wrong.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

Yeah, I'm not really seeing the utility of this. I generally don't even have that many production facilities (aside from captured ones) and wouldn't have a standard build list at several worlds. Later in large games I'm more likely to use a central production location with stargates to move the items.

I have expressed a desire to have Production work more like Research to allow you to queue up a specific item and have any prerequisite items automatically queued, but that's a minor wish.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

defaultuser wrote: I have expressed a desire to have Production work more like Research to allow you to queue up a specific item and have any prerequisite items automatically queued, but that's a minor wish.
At some point this week I'm going to push a change that allows you to build shipyard expansions that rely on a different shipyard expansion to be queued if the prerequisite is enqueued (eg you can queue a Cellular Growth Chamber if you're building an Orbital Incubator, an Advanced Engineering Bay if you're building a Drydock), I need to do some testing to make sure I haven't created any loopholes but it seems to work fine.

Not exactly what you're looking for but it'll make things a bit easier given they're most of the prereqs—you'll always need to have built a Basic Shipyard though, game balance concerns on that one.

(I wouldn't be able to code your specific request but have asked for similar in the distant past)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

MatGB wrote:
defaultuser wrote: I have expressed a desire to have Production work more like Research to allow you to queue up a specific item and have any prerequisite items automatically queued, but that's a minor wish.
Not exactly what you're looking for
What you mention would definitely be an improvement, as you could just add the three things individually but all at once. It's not a big deal.