Old news?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
godel
Space Dragon

Old news?

#1 Post by godel »

I hope this has been fixed. I am using a 4.5 I got back in september. There has been time.
After playing a while (win 7 machine) the games needs to be rebooted.
Usual symptoms are unavailable parts in the list of things I can build.
Unusual symptoms have been fights that can not be won, but should be. I got that one last night and after two reboots the game opened the planet to takeover.

Suggestion:

It would greatly comfort beginners if there could be a way to evoke an explaination for why an action can not be done. Sometimes it is well within the game, and not a flaw. The mouseover on planets that are too strong for the detection is a wonderful thing.

Why did a system that I have completely conquered just kill off a space fleet that was trying to repair there? That was one.

Such an ability could be useful in troubleshooting.

Again, my hope is that all such has been done, fixed, implemented.

UrshMost
Space Kraken

Re: Old news?

#2 Post by UrshMost »

The developers are coming out with new test builds on a weekly basis.
Just grab the newest version from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeor ... rion/Test/
Long games have gotten significantly more stable in the last few months.
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

godel
Space Dragon

#3 Post by godel »

Thanks!
And remember my suggestion, it does not need to be done now, but would be a great help to many, including developers. It would, I agree, be a bitch to implement.

UrshMost
Space Kraken

#4 Post by UrshMost »

About understanding what happened to your fleet:

In the Situation Report that comes up each turn, there will be a line stating that a combat has taken place, and then subsequent lines will list the casualties of the battle, etc. On that first line that mentions the combat at a particular system, the word 'combat' is a link that you can click on to pop open a detailed Combat Report. The report has two tabs; a summary and a log with a blow by blow report of who hit who for how much damage.

Currently, there are three rounds of combat, with (i believe) each weapon from each combatant firing in a random order. After each of the three rounds ships that have accumulated enough damage are destroyed and the survivors go on to the next round. If a ship survives all three rounds then they live into the next game turn.
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

@godel: as UrshMost already suggested, try the latest test builds. Report back if any of the issues you experienced still persist, preferably detailing how to reproduce the issue (if you can reliably reproduce them, that is). Without being able to reproduce the issues there isn't much we can do...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

godel wrote: Why did a system that I have completely conquered just kill off a space fleet that was trying to repair there? That was one.
On the face of it, that should not and could not have happened, however there are some things that could change that.

First being mines from a Fortress special on a neutral world. Second being stealthed ships or monsters you cannot see, so you think it's your system but in fact it isn't.

In both cases, a Sitrep should have told you what happened. If that didn't happen, there's a bug, if something else happened then we need a concrete example (a savegame, ideally the autosave from the turn before it happened), and then we can investigate.

We are, always, trying to improve in game documentation and expand explanations so they're clearer, but it's never going to be perfect as those of us writing the docs get distracted by a new feature, etc.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

godel
Space Dragon

#7 Post by godel »

Thank you for your replay and good suggestions.