Doomtown: Reloaded launch

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Doomtown: Reloaded launch

#1 Post by MatGB »

Personal thing more'n anything else. I've mentioned I'm currently unemployed and being a househusband (hence huge amounts of time to play the game, bug hunt, etc). I've also mentioned I've been involved in the past in a few published collectible card games. Well, this month, my favourite all time game is being relaunched in a new format:
Doomtown Reloaded | AEG's card game of the Weird West releases August 2014.

I've been asked to take on my old role as Keeper of the FAQ, maker of the Rulings and general all round Rules Guy. This is an unpaid role but it has perqs (like free product and occasional invites as a guest to major events). I have no idea how much time it's going to take up, but this week I have to actually write the FAQ and Rulings document in order that I can actually keep it.

So a) if you fancy the look of a steampunk western with zombies card game, I really recommend this one, it's great, & b) I might be a bit busy the next few weeks (but might not, depends). I do, definitely, need to spend time playing that game and not this one.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Doomtown: Reloaded launch

#2 Post by AndrewW »

MatGB wrote:Personal thing more'n anything else. I've mentioned I'm currently unemployed and being a househusband (hence huge amounts of time to play the game, bug hunt, etc). I've also mentioned I've been involved in the past in a few published collectible card games.
Sounds familiar, not employed myself at the moment, though in my case involved in RPG's rather the CCG's.
MatGB wrote:Well, this month, my favourite all time game is being relaunched in a new format:
Hey, isn't that supposed to be FreeOrion...
MatGB wrote:This is an unpaid role but it has perqs (like free product and occasional invites as a guest to major events).
Yup, very familiar, though in my case no invites... Currently got some playtest material to go over myself. And do on occasion do some paid work.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Freakiest invite was the Greek championship, I'd met the organiser a few times and talked on line, lovely bloke, and decided I wanted to go as all the Greek players I'd met were decent company. When he found I was coming he told me he'd sort the hotel out and similar—what I didn't realise was by "sort" he meant "pay for everything", and it wasn't the cheap hotels I normally stay at for that sort of thing. Cheapest holiday ever, they wouldn't let me pay for anything at all, including after the event and I went off sightseeing, the Thessaloniki players drove me up there, sorted my accommodation and took turns cooking for me. Normally an invite means "get in free" or possibly even "and we'll get you a meal or two", which is always nice, but the Greeks went OTT.

Turned out the organiser worked for the major distributor and it was all on the company, but even so. Doubt that level of thing will happen again this time around but UK specific events are likely on occasions, which'll be nice.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#4 Post by AndrewW »

Closest I came was an event ticket for GenCon, if I spent some time in their booth. Alas, didn't cover airfare or anything. Though could have possibly shared a hotel room. But not having a job at the time decided not to spend the money for the airfare.