Official Forums for Games - is this normal?

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

Official Forums for Games - is this normal?

#1 Post by Nightfish »

I confess I never visited a lot of forums. I used to lurk on MoO3s boards and obviously I used to be moderately active on our first forum *cough* over 500 posts *cough*...

Anyway, I heard that Diablo 2 was getting a new patch so I dropped over to their forum to see if it's true that a game this old would get a new patch... And guess what? It's the MoO3 boards all over again... All those whining people and trolls. "Give us the patch now!" "Stop stalling for time!!!" "WTF!!! Give us a date!" and so on.

Is this normal? I had thought MoO3's board to be an extreme case because the game was pushed back even more often than other games and in the end the game sucked so bad it's not even funny, but out of 2 official boards I've check 2 have proven to be quite similar. Well, maybe I exagerate, D2's board is quite as bad as MoO3's but it's worse than I thought.

What happend to courtesy? And when did people start having so much spare time they can spend hours complaining about stuff that won't change no matter how hard they whine? I mean, they can't be so stupid as to believe that whining would actually get the patch/game done faster... I refuse to believe that humanity has degenerated *that* far.

Though it was really funny to see how things are alike. D2's board has it's whiners that go like "bah, blizzard sucks, the game sucks, the patch sucks" and it's fanboys that go like "Hey man, calm down, it'll be done when it's done" I could have copied and pasted whole threads out of MoO3's boards and no one would have noticed *lol*

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

I think it's pretty normal, but sometimes people are more respectful. Then again, I don't read that many forums either.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by utilae »

Is it just because thier forums have way more people then this forum and others like it.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Impaler »

Theirs a whole class of people who troll message boards (more then they actualy play the game that the message board pertains too I think). They tend to be of the extreams, they either hate the game or are total fanboys.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune