turning freeorion into an mmorpg

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

eagles051387
Krill Swarm

turning freeorion into an mmorpg

#1 Post by eagles051387 »

hey guys was sitting here playing free orion which i must say im super hooked. what is yalls take on turning it into an mmorpg?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: turning freeorion into an mmorpg

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Highly unlikely. FreeOrion is designed to be a basic 4X game, and the game mechanics and content will strongly support a linear progression from early-game to end-game, with each player starting at the same tech level. It would require a lot of time and effort to transform it into something that works well in an MMO game, where new players can join at any time, and there is effectively no "end-game". There are probably a lot more reasons than that, but those are the ones related to aspects of the game with which I'm most familiar.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Yeeha
Pupating Mass

#3 Post by Yeeha »

Actually i think balancing for mmorpg would be minor problem, those who join later into galaxy could be ancientlike civs or there could be "slots" in the galaxy managed by ai that could be taken over. But will game handle it and if theres someone who wants and has skill to make necessary changes in game is another question.

eagles051387
Krill Swarm

#4 Post by eagles051387 »

im not understanding what you mean.

Yeeha
Pupating Mass

#5 Post by Yeeha »

Well someone has to develop this mmorpg-mode into game and that is lot of work.

eagles051387
Krill Swarm

#6 Post by eagles051387 »

as i am a world of warcraft player i already have some ideas on how to make it work.

i agree it is quite alot of work

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

Freeorion is not a role playing game, so the RPG part doesn't make any sense.

For the MMO part, I think the entire server-client architecture would need to be reworked to allow for a huge amount of players and - as has been mentioned - for players entering the game at a later point. Also, there would be a need for galaxy sizes far greater than what we have at this point.
On top of this there would have to be a central server(farm), doing the insane amount of calculations for every turn.

None of this is feasible.

No offense eagles051387, but as a player I think, you don't have any idea how to make this work.

eagles051387
Krill Swarm

#8 Post by eagles051387 »

it wouldnt be turn based. the whole game would be reworked like world of warcraft. more along the lines of that style of mmorpg

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#9 Post by Bigjoe5 »

eagles051387 wrote:it wouldnt be turn based. the whole game would be reworked like world of warcraft. more along the lines of that style of mmorpg
Everything is turn-based. The only question is whether it's automatically split into a definite number of turns per second, thus simulating real-time, or if the player moves from one turn to the next at will.

The former, which is what you're suggesting, requires much, much more server/networking resources.

We don't want to make an MMO, so I don't really see why we would spend all the extra effort required to do so.

eagles051387
Krill Swarm

#10 Post by eagles051387 »

is the multiplayer feature like that in civ 4. cuz that is turned based or all turns are done at the same time and dont go to the next turn until ever one has ended their turn.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by utilae »

See Astro Empires for an example of a Space 4X Game that is Mass Multiplayer Online.
This game works really well, and is really well balanced, and is the leading game out there in this field.

But it is real time, so if you have a real life, your space boats may get blown up if you are not active enough.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#12 Post by Zanzibar »

See also Sword of the Stars which has the ability to take over AI slots at will in Multi-player mode, and most of the other multi-player suggestions you asked for... but it's NOT MMO... and it's also NOT an RPG... lol
Last edited by Zanzibar on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xenon_K
Krill Swarm

#13 Post by Xenon_K »

No offence - But when I get home from a hard day at work to sit and play single player games, (mostly X3 and MOO series...) I don’t want to have to try and connect to a laggy server full of noobs just to play one of my favourite games, (this is the way it all seems to be going these days, Plus some even have the audacity to charge you for the privilege.) No thank you, please keep FreeOrion a non mmorpg.

On that note, I think even if someone had that idea, turning it into one of those mmorpg games wouldn’t be very good, since what are you role-playing? its a strategy game and turn based... I agree with this earlier quote, I’m pleased I’m not the only one who shares this sentiment. What you propose means making quests and a whole new storyline...
pd wrote:FreeOrion is not a role playing game, so the RPG part doesn't make any sense.
If you mean "Multiplayer", then that’s very different from a mmorpg. FreeOrion should be able to achieve this over a standard internet connection eventually. I would hope the facility for players to "Host" their own games is a possibility for LAN skirmishes etc. But this isn’t up to me.

I don’t know myself regarding FreeOrion and its multiplayer support, but I think there may be this coming later, but don’t quote me on it.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#14 Post by pd »

I meant, what I meant..

Multiplayer games are already possible.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#15 Post by Bigjoe5 »

pd wrote:I meant, what I meant..
He meant what the other guy meant, not what you meant.