fav sci-fi movies

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

fav sci-fi movies

#1 Post by Satyagraha »

what are your favourite sci-fi flicks, related or unrelated to FO?

some that come to my mind: gattaca, bladerunner, screamers, planet of the apes 1, akira, ghost in the shell, the alien-series, pitch black, strange days, 2001, solaris (i´ve only seen the old one yet. is the clooney-remake good?).

do you know some other sci-fi that is worth seeing?

edit: and twelve monkeys ^^

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The ones in my mind when I read good sci-fi books.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#3 Post by StratCaster »

let's see if I can name a few:

Artificial Intelligence - great film..but not for everyone, more of a drama
The Last Star Fighter - great 80's flick!
Tron - amazing
War Games - not really scifi, but sorta
2001 - more of an artistic piece, not movie goers movie...but amazing
Dune - doesn't compare to the books, but still okay..
Enemy Mine - drama...amazing
Fire in the Sky - alien abduction... decent
Taken - another abduction but in a mini series...very good
The Abyss - underwater scifi...loved it
They Live - good Roddy Piper flic!
Star Gate - loved it
Battle Star Galactica - the recent remake was done verywell
Starship Troopers - campy, but decent
Gattaca - amazing (drama)
Contact - amazing (drama-ish)
The Arrival - Charlie Sheen...decent
5th Element - sorta campy, I liked it
Galaxy Quest - hilarious!

wow, I could go on all day....

There's a lot of fun movies that I saw as a kid that got me into scifi....
Flight of the Navigator
Explorers
ET
Tron
D.A.R.Y.L.
Time Bandits
StarKid (actually saw this recently)
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

The Silent One
Graphics

#4 Post by The Silent One »

I've seen the Clooney - Remake of Solaris - - generally, it's disappointing: the atmosphere is weak, the book's story has been shortened perceptively; also, I find it disturbing that there is a change in the plot's message. While in the book the protagonist Kelvin realizes that there might be no way to communicate with Solaris, the film contains a scene in which Kelvin meets a little boy and touches him - contact. (Maybe an allusion to 2001, but I'm not an expert on that film.)

On top of that, the film features a different ending than the book: the space station looses altitude and is absorbed by Solaris... or something like that; I don't remember how the end was exactly like - but I'm rather sure it was a positive one, with him being reunited with his wive. The book offers a more subtle end: Kelvin, on the edge of insanity, stays on the space station, torn between the wish to leave this sullen place and the hope that Solaris may replace his wive.

Apart from the changes in content, the film is well done; the actors are fine, good settings, solid director's work; but after all not a must-see.

noelte
Juggernaut

#5 Post by noelte »

Alien

I plan to review 2001 (2010), as i first saw it as a kid, i wondered all the time when the action would start. As you can guess, it was very disapointing ;-)
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Didn't like Gattaca or GitS really. Haven't seen Bladerunner or Abyss yet and probably should at some point hehe. Thought 2001 was good for what it was but not my thing; 2010 was better. Anyway, sorry if this list is a bit boring/ordinary/cliche, but, I'll say...

Star Wars (originals only, but I liked Ep. 2 as well, so sue me)
Star Trek 2 4 6 and 8
Stargate (and SG-1 moreso)
New BSG (agree with Strat the remake ruled, can't wait for the series)
Galaxy Quest
Matrix 1 and 2

drek
Designer Emeritus

#7 Post by drek »

2001 (it bored me witless as a kid, now one of my favorite movies)
Empire Strikes Back, non special edition version (the prequels suck)
Wrath of Khan, director's cut version ("the motion picture" is okay, the rest mostly sucked.)
The orginal Planet of the Apes. The sequels and remake are cheesy fun, but not really "good movies".

Event Horizon is underrated.

The new battlestar galactica did indeed rock, cept for the starship designs. Galactica itself and the cylon ships in particular are butt-ugly (and not in a good-gritty sort of way).

The second sci-fi channel Dune series (children of Dune) was a pleasant surprise--no where near a good as the first few books, but far better than the movie or first mini.

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#8 Post by Satyagraha »

another imo underrated movie is Alien3. i thought it to be the best in the series (and still think so), while everyone else agrees it´s the absolute low point. dunno why :?

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#9 Post by StratCaster »

2001 isn't your normal everyday movie.

I remember seeing it long ago and finding it boring. Its all about expectations I guess. Nobody told me what the deal was...

But I since then heard a great deal about the movie, the director and what it was really trying to do. And I was somewhere watching it, I forget, but it wasn't like I was sitting down on the couch with popcorn... and I saw it more as a story told from an avant garde point of view. Its very artsy and quite philosophical.

I think I read somewhere that all the dialogue can fit on 2 sheets of paper. For a 2-3 hour movie, I think that says something.

And the opening scene says it all... 3 and 1/2 minutes of black. Now, I didn't see this in the theatres, but I can image being there. Total blackness with some sort of cacophony of music in the background...for almost 4 minutes...

http://www.kubrick2001.com/ is a flash movie that does a decent job of explaining it.... check it out... its kinda long though.
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Yeah we spent quite a while looking at 2001 in the Film Music class I took in college. Absolutely an artsy, philosophical, great movie, in the "important, landmark, precedent-setting" meaning of the word great. Just not quite my thing personally. I did find 2010 enjoyable as I mentioned though; having the SeaQuest DSV captain guy in it was a plus. :)

I liked Star Trek 3 9 and 10 they just didn't make it into favorite status. 2 and 8 are the best, 1 was boring, 5 sucked, and I had major issues with 7 which is a shame b/c it had potential especially with its music theme... ah well.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#11 Post by StratCaster »

"Humpback People?"

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

neat

#12 Post by guiguibaah »

Army of darkness!
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

noelte
Juggernaut

#13 Post by noelte »

Buck Rodgers - (anybody remember that movie?) - odd dancing ;-)
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#14 Post by Daveybaby »

Well if army of darkness is allowed as a sci-fi movie, then i vote for Withnail and I. :P
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by utilae »

Stargate was a cool movie. But the series is so much better. Awesome cast in the series.

Star Wars
Matrix
Event Horizon was cool, gory, but still cool.
Battlestar Galactaca mini series was cool. Should be a remade series.
The Babylon 5 movies are pretty cool.