No Time!

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

mr_ed
Space Squid

No Time!

#1 Post by mr_ed »

AAAAAGH!

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I haven't spent a whole lot of time on the board. Or in the CVS tree for that matter.
I've been working late most days, and I've been spending the rest with my fiancée.

I was counting on the days where she works in the evening and on weekends to do FreeOrion stuff (I originally said that I was available "once or twice a week") but there haven't been many of those lately; the times where it's happened, I've been pretty wasted from work, and I didn't feel like doing anything at all.. :(

Anyway, in the near future, I hope to get back on track.
I've installed Mandrake Linux and checked out the code. Now I just need all those darned other packages like boost and SDL.

Anyone out there know how to use RPMs?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

Great to hear from you :)

rpm's are easy to use. Probably many tutorials. Best if you check out commands like apt-get or something. I've never used it myself but it sounds good.

rpm -Uvh <package> - installs a package or upgrades it if it already exists
rpm -e <package> - uninstalls a package
rpm -qpl <package> - shows all the files it will install
rpm -qa - lists all currently installed packages

--nodeps forces it to install an rpm or uninstall it even if that would break dependencies

anyway, "man rpm" will tell you all you need

mr_ed
Space Squid

#3 Post by mr_ed »

Good to be back. :)

Thanks for the help. apt-get is only for Debian, is it not?
Mandrake has urpmi, which is apparently very good, too. It will install dependencies (if they're there, I guess) before installing the rpm.

I was using
# rpm --help
and
# rpm --usage

Useless. :roll:

If I do that, will it install in the same place as the makefile wants it to?
Say it installs in /usr/rpms or something...
That would mean changing the makefiles every time I do a checkout or update, wouldn't it?

I didn't have the time to hack around with Gentoo. I learned lots while I was doing it, but I just don't have time right now.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

Are you talking about using RPM for FreeOrion? Because we don't have any SRPMS for it.

mr_ed
Space Squid

#5 Post by mr_ed »

No. SDL.

I got SDL devel working using an RPM.

But there's still compiling (jamfiling?) boost, and figuring out again what to do with log4cpp